Home Winemaking Equipment?

I am hoping someone could help me with a list of equipment I would need to make wine from the 35 Cabernet Franc vines I planted 2 years ago. I am going to attempt the winemaking part next year and have no idea how much wine/grapes 35 vines would generate and what equipment I need for that amount.

Any advice would be appreciated or if someone could point me in the right direction to research this.

Thanks

Crusher/Destemmer
Food grade plastic trashcan with lid
Hydrometer
PH tester (or ph strips)
Basket Wine Press
Glass or plastic carboys (I strongly recommend the “better bottle” plastic ones)
Drilled rubber stopper for each carboy
Undrilled rubber stopper for each carboy
Air lock for each carboy
potassium metabisulfite
Possibly tartaric acid depending on when you pick your grapes
A large bowl and strainer
Plastic tubing

A optional but nice to have is a co2 canister with plastic tubing that fits it.

It depends on a few factors but you will typically get 5 gallons of wine for each 110 pounds or so of grapes you ferment.

Depending on where you live it is probable that you can rent the crusher/destemmer and wine press from a local wine club or wine/brew supply store.

Www.winepress.us

Forum for home winemakers.

Thanks Berry - that list is exactly what I’m looking for. How do I figure out things like the sizes of the equipment needed and how many of something (e.g. glass carboys)? Obviously it is contingent on the amount/weight of grapes harvested - is there a way to figure out the ballpark amount generated from 35 - 40 vines?

John - I could not open your link, if you could resend I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Pounds per vine can vary based on a lot of factors. As you only have 35 vines, I am going to assume that they all have lots of root space per vine. The next question would be where are you located and what kind of trellis. Assuming you are VSP and not some type of split canopy and that you are in a moderate vigor area, you could estimate at 2 pounds per linear foot of trellis. Assume 4 foot of trellis per vine that yields 280 pounds or about 18 and 2/3 gallons finished. So you either want 2-15 gallon buckets or 1-30+ gallon one. After that I would use standard 5 gallon carboys. Make sure you buy a 3 gallon as well as some 1 gallon and 1/2 gallons. You will need them as nothing ever works out perfect.

A 32 gallon BRUTE trashcan (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubbermaid-Commercial-Products-BRUTE-32-gal-Gray-Trash-Container-with-Lid-FG8632-92GRA/100342585) is the closest size to that but 280 pounds destemmed will overflow that. 250 pounds is enough to cause a lot of foam to spill out during the high point of fermentation. I think he would be better off upgrading to the 44 gallon one.

Honestly I wouldn’t do two small fermenters. From my experience the 32 gallon fermenter is the minimum size to get good kinetics for the fermentations. With smaller its easy to get too hot or too cold.

Good point

Thanks Berry and Brian - and I was able to open John’s link and have all the info I need. I much appreciate your help.

Phillip