Williams Selyem dry yeast for reds

Does anyone have experience with this yeast in regards to sluggish/stuck fermentations?

As far as the old build up used to go, it was often touted as a high tolerance strain. Not a fructose chewer, and tends to be pretty good when introduced to finish, while still a good ratio of G/F (approx 10 brix or so).

Not very good once the G/F ratio gets pretty dire. Better yeasts out there for restarts/stuck.

Used it this year to finish out a zin ferment. But it wasn’t stuck, just slow and I did it at 6. Plan on using it for another from the start next week.

BTW the old slant build-up method sucked(as in a whole day)but it works, IMHO better than Bayanus.

Heard from folks that there are a lot of sluggish Zin ferms this year(like there aren’t in other years?). Could it have been something about zin fruit at 30 and not tasting ready yet? [rofl.gif]

WS is finally ready in a dry form? Who sells it? Last time I used the 2 liter liquid WS culture, it didn’t work. But before that, it worked on some stuck Chard. I have a Zin sitting at 10 this week. Probably a great candidate for a restart.

Enartis/Vinquiry sells it.

Should i stick with UVA 43 for a stuck at 2-3 brix or is the WS the way to go here? Already re inoculated with UVA43 at 6 brix because it was looking slow at that point. Thanks.

2-3 eh? What’s the chance you have a lees keg from '13? You may be in for a slant build-up if not. By this I mean I’ve had luck pressing to barrel and using WS lees to push it through in barrel in the sun to get the temp up. Every situation is different and YMMV.

Pick a company and follow their restart protocol to the letter. The uva 43 should get you dry.