Blundstone Boots

In the cellar I normally wear Keen Targhee II and rain boots. I enjoy the comfort and light weight that hiking boots have to offer but I wanted to try something new. I purchased my first pair of Blundstone boots(490) and I’m having some second thoughts. I’m wearing them around the house tonight contemplating if I will take them to work tomorrow or send them back.
I decided to purchase the boots a go because of recommendations. I find the slip on boots aesthetically pleasing and functional because there are no laces to tie nor no crevices for liquid or gunk to drip into…
What is the break in period? I find the boots to have a very hard bottom. Does the sole become more comfortable or are inserts recommended? I have wide feet but trying the boots on after a 12hr day there is no tightness on my foot. At the top of my ankle and Achilles heel I feel tight restriction and when bent a pinching sensation. Is this normal with new 'stones? Do they loosen up?
Please provide any and all input. Also please feel free to recommend any boot(s) which fit this criteria; water proof, light weight, low height (4in max), can wear year round, durable, and comfortable. Thanks in advance and have a safe and bountiful harvest.

If you are talking about top foot pressure that becomes a dull ache over time, yes my blundies had that at first, but don’t anymore. They must have formed to my foot more.

Love my Blunnies, but yes, there is a break-in period (across the top of the foot, achilles, etc.) from my recollection. Bear in mind, that was 2001, so my memory has faded, but the boots are still going strong!

If you can push through the break-in, they will fit like a glove and last for many comfortable years of work. I was walking 3-5 miles/day in mine. They are the originals (5-something series).

Same issues with Redback boots. I wore a sock that came up to boot height during break in to avoid the irritation. I also added leather insoles tat made them even more comfortable. Love em!

Disclaimer: I sell Redback

Merrill’s.
Best, Jim

Put a Campbell’s condensed soup can in the neck/ankle region for 24 hrs to stretch it out. Makes a big difference.

Every thanks for the advice I think I’m going to keep the boots and break them in.
Jim- Merrill’s run to narrow for me.

Brian sold me a pair of Redbacks and I love them. Super light, very similar to Blundstones. The break in period was a few days but they loosened up quite a bit and I put in some insoles and I’m as happy as could be now.

I’ve had both Blundstone and Redbacks, and preferred the Redbacks as they wore out in 16 months rather than 12. However, I’m now on my second pair of Danners (made in Oregon) in 8 years. Although they are ugly and look like a hiking boot. They feel way better standing on top of Macro bins for punchdowns.

Plus, I dropped a 5 gallon carboy on my foot two years ago that cut a massive gash into the boot and I’m convinced that if the leather hadn’t been so thick I’d have had issues at two in the morning.

Double plus, if you are wearing an Aussie work boot. Ask yourself… am I driving a Subaru? Am I wearing a polar fleece vest?

[rofl.gif] Only if you live in Sebastopol.

Check is in the mail [whistle.gif]

Not sure you have my address, I’ll PM it to you :wink:

David - I have found Georgia boots are comfortable boots with wide sizing. In 7 years I’m on my 2nd pair of Georgia boots(lace up). The following are the ones, which meet your criteria, that I’m looking to purchase next … Georgia Boot: Men's 11" Muddog Pull-On Work Boots, #G4434 … Gary

Add - For a shorter boot try these … Georgia Zero Drag Waterproof Romeo Work Shoe, #G104

One other point I want to add is that I find it shortsighted that many work boot, and work clothes, manufacturers do not offer many choices for women.

Just a quick add. This year I added waterproof Redbacks to my vineyard boots and I have been very pleased with them after 6 months continuous daily use. If they last 2 seasons I will be pleased.

Two seasons on my latest Redbacks. I picked up a steel toe pair when I was in Sydney thinking I’d need them this harvest but haven’t had to wear them. I do wax/oil them though. Break in is a few days longer than Blunnies. Like the previous post get some Smartwool hikers and you will be very happy.

I tried the lot when I was there Olivers, Blunnies, King Gee, Steel Blue and Mongrel. Redbacks were the most comfortable for me. Also Blundstone moved production offshore but still charged same price. Redbacks still made in AU.