Merchant Account?

Is anyone happy with their current credit card service provider? Quality of service and reasonable fees? Considering moving on to a new service provider to lower rates. Any input is much appreciated.

Try http://www.cardfellow.com/

I had a great experience using them to choose a new merchant services provider. It was still a good bit of work getting a really great deal - you’re still dealing with card processors after all. I ended up changing providers a couple times, but I finally got a provider that I’m pretty happy with. Two big advantages with Card Fellow. One is that they require everyone who participates there to offer “interchange plus” pricing, which is (relatively) more transparent than the tiered pricing model you probably have now, and it will probably result in a lower rate to you than any tiered pricing model will. Another advantage is that the guy who runs Card Fellow posts a lot of good information on the subject on the website, and he offers one-on-one support too. I became much more savvy about dealing with card processors as a result of using his website. PM me if you have any questions.

I am happy with our local guys: http://eurekapayments.com

The guy I like is Ken.

They beat bigger people to get my business on price and keep it on service. No contact, which means they need to keep you happy or you are free to leave. You can reach a person. At least give them a shot to bid on whatever else you like.

Dave/Andrew, appreciate the suggestions! Will give both a call. Have not considered switching for a long time, but service has been gradually going down hill with my current provider. Imagine the initial research will take some time, any other input anyone may have is helpful?

Nick, two things I think are key:

One is that whoever you choose, you should insist on “interchange plus” pricing. Tiered pricing is simply a way for the processor to pad his profit. I believe nearly any processor will accept interchange plus pricing, but the reseller you actually talk to may or may not admit that to you.

Second, watch the miscellaneous fees carefully. One especially egregious fee is the “1099 fee” or “IRS fee”, or words to that effect. Read this for an explanation:

I dumped a processor when they imposed a $99 annual fee on me for this. My current processor doesn’t charge me for preparing a simple IRS form, or for PCI compliance, another common (and negotiable) fee.

Good luck!