Wine for personal consumption

I would like to have a bonded winery make one barrel of wine for personal consumption.

What is involved?

Would the winery have to put a label on the wine? Could I make my own label without the winery name?

Would I be able to give the wine as gifts?

Any other issues to consider?

Thanks in advance.

Robert,
Just off the top of my head . . .
The winery would have to treat it as their wine; report it to the Feds, pay the tax, bottle it appropriately and label it according to law. But you could work with the winery on the name of the wine and as long as the fictitious name is registered and their basic permit amended to include that name, they can bottle it under that name.
And when they “sell” it to you, sales tax is due.
What you do with it once you get it is up to you.
Best, Jim

Thanks very much Jim.

I figured it would it include all of that. I just wish there was a way around putting the wineries name on the label.

Robert,
There is.
Assume the following: Fred Winery is your choice to make the wine.
But you would like the label to say Bob Cellars.
The winery amends their basic permit to include the DBA Bob Cellars and registers that fictitious name with the county. Then the winery orders labels that say Bob Cellars and on the back say produced and bottled by Bob Cellars. The original winery name never appears on your label.
Got it?
Best, Jim

Make it yourself. Look up the beverage people on the net. Great home winemaking resource. Buy half a ton of grapes, crush and ferment, press off into garbage cans, rack into barrel. A fun adventure.

Perfect this gives me more clarity.

+1

Wine you have made with your own hands is more satisfying

Thanks but I live in Manhattan. I will be heavily involved in making the wine. I have many friends with wineries that I could use I was just wondering about the legalities of making wine in a bonded in winery for personal use.

If you make the wine in CA you might want to research the legalities, logistics and cost of shipping +- 25 cases of wine cross country if you haven’t done so already.

Just have the doorman help you carry the grapes up to your apartment