Question about ABC Type 85, TTB basic permit and direct shipping

(This is crossed posted at Wine Pimps)

Ive done some research and it looks like I might only need an ABC type 85 license for what I plan to do initially with my wines since the wines are made at a bonded winery location and I initially plan only to sell direct. Ive been researching on whether I also need a TTB basic permit and Im a bit confused.

This page: http://www.ttb.gov/publications/direct_shipping.shtml has this sentence:

Finally, a basic permit is required for persons who engage in the business of purchasing for resale at wholesale distilled spirits, wine, or malt beverages for non-industrial use. Retailers are not required to obtain basic permits under the FAA Act.

It seems like it is contradicting itself. “basic permit is required for persons who engage in the business of purchasing for resale at wholesale…wine…for non-industrial use” sounds like it is describing the activity of a retailer but then they immediately say “Retailers are not required to obtain basic permits under the FAA Act”. The second part seems pretty cut and dry but the first part seems to pre-emptively muddy it.

Does anyone have any insight into this? I would basically be a company similar to Envoyer wines (but only selling my own wine) and I imagine they don’t have to have a TTB permit, right?

I know that with an 02 type permit, you need your own basic permit. As you will not have a bonded winery of your own, you will have to be added to the bonded winery’s permit at which you make your wine. (same situation as a 17/20, and what I had to do)

This way they can do things like label approvals and such on your behalf.