Used wine barrels?

A friend of mine in Philly, who is a serious amateur beer brewer (I wouldn’t be surprised if he turns pro someday), is looking for used wine barrels. Do you know where he can get some? What happens to the barrels when wineries are done with them?

Depends on the winery. Wineries that use a high percentage of new oak tend to sell to other wineries. Others that use all neutral oak may only turn out barrels they no longer trust. The best approach would be to establish a relationship with a small local-ish winemaker. I hear some of them winemaker types like beer. If they know you and respect what you’re doing, it’s not a big deal to set aside a barrel or two that they would otherwise be ridding themselves of. Timing needs to be understood. A decision may be made to purge some barrels when they are freed up - post-bottling. A reserve is usually held onto to to account for the vagaries of harvest volume. In the wake of harvest there may be some unused older barrels that are now just occupying space at a time most other wineries aren’t looking.

Thanks!