August, NOLA, is possibly America's finest...

No Corkage restaurant. That is all.

We wil be in NO in a couple of weeks and we have lined up NOLA and Commander’s Palace. I probably should add August.

How was the food?

Never knew that NOLA allowed BYOB yet alone no corkage. It has been a few years since I have been there since NO is no longer part of my territory but this has always been one of my favorite restaurants.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would normally assume that “no corkage” = BYO not allowed. But from the context, I would think you meant “free corkage” Very timely, as I had just went through the BYO forum and couldn’t find a N.O. thread.

Any other top New Orleans restaurant allow corkage?

Thanks!

Definitely NO CORKAGE and the degustacion menu was superb.

Hmmm, don’t understand.

Does no corkage = BYO not allowed or does no corkage = BYO allowed, no corkage fee.

BYOB is super cool.

A nice twist on that was eating dinner at Luke, and having them run the wine list from August down, and then bring us burg after burg from the list…financially very painful, but a great meal, and a lot of fun…

I mean free corkage Barry, go and enjoy!

Interesting semantic twist.

Random House Dictionary defines corkage as "a fee charged, as in a restaurant, for serving wine or liquor brought in by the patron. " Collins English Dictionary says it’s “a charge made at a restaurant for serving wine, etc, bought off the premises.” If no charge is made, isn’t that “no corkage” instead of “free corkage”?

I have always considered the question of corkage (how much?) to be distinct from the question of BYO (is it allowed?).

I have heard

“we don’t allow corkage”

many times in response to

“what is your corkage policy”.

While I appreciate the dictionary definitions, I don’t think the BYO is allowed for free is implied by the rules of logic when you say no corkage.

Hooray!

Thanks for this most valuable post!

Cheers
Barry

Have brought wine to Stella! a few times. Don’t remember if they charge. One of our favorite all time restaurants.

After much agonizing, I"ve come up with this for my trip later this month:

Herbsaint
Stella
Bayona
August

for a Saturday night through Tuesday night foray. Po-boys during the day. Still might swap Stella for Galatoire’s, but not keen on a line and didn’t care for upstairs (where they take reservations) last time.

Also hard to leave off Brigtsten’s, another favorite. I actually didn’t think much of Bayona when I last went, but that was many year’s ago, so I’m giving it another try based on accolades.

outstanding line up. Keep Stella and go to an early lunch at Gallatoire’s for all the classics.

No BYO allowed at Bayona (although they allowed hope by saying if it was a special bottle, we could see if the manager would allow by special arrangement).

$25 per bottle at Herbsaint.

August is free! WHOOPEEE!

Not sure about Stella’s policy yet.

If I decide to nix Bayona (wasn’t wild about it when I went pre flood), anyone have another top food suggestion that allows BYO?

I’ve brought wine to Stella twice. I think it was $ 20 ?? They also have some very nice wines paired by the glass that pair well with the menu.

Check out Coquette. One of our finds from our last trip. Great little place. Chef/Owner is an August Alum…

http://www.coquette-nola.com/eat.html

Thanks for the tip.

Anyone been to Gautreau’s? They allow BYO, James Beard nominee in 2010 in the kitchen.

Any general thoughts on styles of wines to bring (and it won’t be Burgundy for me)? I know it depends on what you order, but I’m just looking for some general thoughts on what to take and what to leave home.

Thanks!

Chris

I bought two vintages of Pegau reserve (late release 99, and 2000), and it was fun .