Long Island

Detailed information, by region, of restaurants and their wine/corkage policies
User avatar
RossW
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 10
Joined: April 13th 2017, 8:09am
Location: New York

Long Island

Post #101  Postby RossW » April 28th 2017, 8:25am

Jimmy Hays Island Park- $25 Corkage but they have not always charged the $25 a bottle- they do have a good wine list as well
Frank Steaks Rockville Centre- $25 Corkage but sometimes they waive it
Tum Thai Cuisine Rockville Centre- BYOB no corkage
Valencia Eatery Lynbrook- BYOB no corkage
Uva Rossa Malverne- Corkage $25
Tellers Islip- $25 corkage, but a real good wine list
Ross Whitehead

Advertisement

Diane Kessler
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 1232
Joined: November 11th 2009, 12:46pm

Long Island

Post #102  Postby Diane Kessler » April 28th 2017, 10:09am

RossW wrote:Jimmy Hays Island Park- $25 Corkage but they have not always charged the $25 a bottle- they do have a good wine list as well
Frank Steaks Rockville Centre- $25 Corkage but sometimes they waive it
Tum Thai Cuisine Rockville Centre- BYOB no corkage
Valencia Eatery Lynbrook- BYOB no corkage
Uva Rossa Malverne- Corkage $25
Tellers Islip- $25 corkage, but a real good wine list


Tellers - really? My understanding is they do not permit byo.
ArtF
 
Posts: 83
Joined: November 12th 2014, 7:44pm

Long Island

Post #103  Postby ArtF » May 18th 2017, 4:33am

Elisa's Ristorante, N. Bellmore. Corkage $9. Don't think I would bring more than one bottle. All wine 1/2 price on Thursday. Chef owned, family run southern Italian with creative specials.
https://elisasrestaurant.com/
Art Forman
Bdklein
(Online)
 
Posts: 2229
Joined: November 10th 2013, 2:16pm

Long Island

Post #104  Postby Bdklein » May 18th 2017, 6:05am

ArtF wrote:Elisa's Ristorante, N. Bellmore. Corkage $9. Don't think I would bring more than one bottle. All wine 1/2 price on Thursday. Chef owned, family run southern Italian with creative specials.
https://elisasrestaurant.com/


Thanks for sharing . Food there is pretty good and nice people
Bruce Klein
Alanjwax
 
Posts: 64
Joined: December 17th 2009, 3:40pm

Long Island

Post #105  Postby Alanjwax » May 19th 2017, 7:07am

Pace's Steakhouse, Hauppauge -- No corkage
The Fifth Season, Port Jefferson -- No corkage for Long Island wines
Orient Odyssey, Jericho -- $10 Corkage
The Orient, Bethpage --$10 Corkage
Pearl's East, Manhasset-- $15 corkage
Bdklein
(Online)
 
Posts: 2229
Joined: November 10th 2013, 2:16pm

Long Island

Post #106  Postby Bdklein » May 19th 2017, 9:03am

Alanjwax wrote:Pace's Steakhouse, Hauppauge -- No corkage
The Fifth Season, Port Jefferson -- No corkage for Long Island wines
Orient Odyssey, Jericho -- $10 Corkage
The Orient, Bethpage --$10 Corkage
Pearl's East, Manhasset-- $15 corkage


Thanks but confused . No corkage alllowed at Pace's?? Or not corkage fee?

And can you clarify The Fifth Season policy for LI and non LI wines ?
Bruce Klein
Diane Kessler
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 1232
Joined: November 11th 2009, 12:46pm

Long Island

Post #107  Postby Diane Kessler » May 24th 2017, 7:49pm

Bdklein wrote:
Alanjwax wrote:Pace's Steakhouse, Hauppauge -- No corkage
The Fifth Season, Port Jefferson -- No corkage for Long Island wines
Orient Odyssey, Jericho -- $10 Corkage
The Orient, Bethpage --$10 Corkage
Pearl's East, Manhasset-- $15 corkage


Thanks but confused . No corkage alllowed at Pace's?? Or not corkage fee?

And can you clarify The Fifth Season policy for LI and non LI wines ?

I was only at Pace's in Hauppauge one time, and there was no charge for bringing in a bottle. Same with Fifth Season. I was there one time and not charged for bringing in a LI wine.
Bdklein
(Online)
 
Posts: 2229
Joined: November 10th 2013, 2:16pm

Long Island

Post #108  Postby Bdklein » May 24th 2017, 7:54pm

Diane Kessler wrote:
Bdklein wrote:
Alanjwax wrote:Pace's Steakhouse, Hauppauge -- No corkage
The Fifth Season, Port Jefferson -- No corkage for Long Island wines
Orient Odyssey, Jericho -- $10 Corkage
The Orient, Bethpage --$10 Corkage
Pearl's East, Manhasset-- $15 corkage


Thanks but confused . No corkage alllowed at Pace's?? Or not corkage fee?

And can you clarify The Fifth Season policy for LI and non LI wines ?

I was only at Pace's in Hauppauge one time, and there was no charge for bringing in a bottle. Same with Fifth Season. I was there one time and not charged for bringing in a LI wine.


Thanks for the info.
Bruce Klein
ArtF
 
Posts: 83
Joined: November 12th 2014, 7:44pm

Long Island

Post #109  Postby ArtF » June 4th 2017, 8:23am

ArtF wrote:Monaco's Coal Oven Pizza. Formerly Massa's. No charge byo. Sideways facing parking lot on Jericho Tpk. just west of Rte. 110. If you are in the area, small family owned pizza place with two booths and a few tables. Salads, baked pasta and parmigiana dishes. But the crisp, slightly burnt crust on their pizza and monogramed plates do it for me. Great with Belgium beer.

Seems to be transitioning. Small dining room added, lots of cooks in small kitchen. Pizza came out cold and was the wrong pie. Too bad.
Art Forman
Diane Kessler
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 1232
Joined: November 11th 2009, 12:46pm

Long Island

Post #110  Postby Diane Kessler » June 4th 2017, 8:38am

Too bad, but thanks for the update
Bdklein
(Online)
 
Posts: 2229
Joined: November 10th 2013, 2:16pm

Long Island

Post #111  Postby Bdklein » August 7th 2017, 6:23am

Novita in Garden City. $25 per bottle .
Bruce Klein
ArtF
 
Posts: 83
Joined: November 12th 2014, 7:44pm

Long Island

Post #112  Postby ArtF » August 7th 2017, 7:01am

No idea if they allow BYO, they have a full bar, but Golden Temple on Jericho Turnpike in Syosset is very good Cantonese cuisine. Also sushi, but I have stayed with the Chinese menu.
Art Forman
Bdklein
(Online)
 
Posts: 2229
Joined: November 10th 2013, 2:16pm

Long Island

Post #113  Postby Bdklein » August 7th 2017, 4:23pm

ArtF wrote:No idea if they allow BYO, they have a full bar, but Golden Temple on Jericho Turnpike in Syosset is very good Cantonese cuisine. Also sushi, but I have stayed with the Chinese menu.


Thx for the BYOB info. Lol
Bruce Klein
Diane Kessler
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 1232
Joined: November 11th 2009, 12:46pm

Long Island

Post #114  Postby Diane Kessler » August 20th 2017, 4:16pm

Raan Thai Cuisine in Nesconset. $8/bottle corkage with clunky but serviceable stemware. Very sweet service - I was about to open my wine but the waitress said she has to charge $8 so she would open it for me. A real hole in the wall, and they are not shy when it comes to spice. Terrific curry - had it with dry Riesling there and the leftovers with Champagne at home. I can't wait to return.
mmarcellus
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 541
Joined: January 1st 2010, 4:51pm

Long Island

Post #115  Postby mmarcellus » August 20th 2017, 8:01pm

Moonstone in Little Neck, just over the Nassau border, has $35 corkage, good stemware. Just ate there tonight (Sunday) and they had a special 30% off deal on their bottles, and they will seal up and allow you to take home any that you don't finish. I'm not sure if the 30% off deal is a regular thing or just for the dog days.

The menu is somewhat pricey but the food is good. The wine list is above average for LI, for me it was greatly improved by the fact that they have two Dr. Frank wines, one of which is available BTG. However, you can see all this for yourself, as far as I can tell the menus and wine list on their web site are current.

http://moonstoneny.com/
M @ r k
ArtF
 
Posts: 83
Joined: November 12th 2014, 7:44pm

Long Island

Post #116  Postby ArtF » November 3rd 2017, 5:59pm

ArtF wrote:
ArtF wrote:Monaco's Coal Oven Pizza. Formerly Massa's. No charge byo. Sideways facing parking lot on Jericho Tpk. just west of Rte. 110. If you are in the area, small family owned pizza place with two booths and a few tables. Salads, baked pasta and parmigiana dishes. But the crisp, slightly burnt crust on their pizza and monogramed plates do it for me. Great with Belgium beer.

Seems to be transitioning. Small dining room added, lots of cooks in small kitchen. Pizza came out cold and was the wrong pie. Too bad.


Mongrammed plates are gone. But otherwise, back on form. They opened a second location in Hicksville, minus coal oven. That probably accounted for the previous hiccups.
Art Forman
Bdklein
(Online)
 
Posts: 2229
Joined: November 10th 2013, 2:16pm

Long Island

Post #117  Postby Bdklein » November 11th 2017, 3:30pm

G Kramer wrote:
mmarcellus wrote:Chef Wang New Sichuan Cuisine in New Hyde Park does corkage for $5. Very good Sichuan food. While I asked about corkage for wine, beer would presumably also work, and might be a better choice with many of their dishes.

They do have a full bar, but very limited and generic selections. For example beer choices are Tsiang-to, Sapporo, Heineken and Amstel.


First time visit last night. Limited dishes tried but agree with your assessment. Ma Po tofu really good. Inquired about bringing beverages. Communication challenging but seemed to say $10 corkage. Seemed averse to beer but I got the sense they might allow if not the commercial plonk they offer.


Verified $10.
Bruce Klein
ArtF
 
Posts: 83
Joined: November 12th 2014, 7:44pm

Long Island

Post #118  Postby ArtF » November 19th 2017, 12:30pm

Snagged a last minute table at Orto in Miller Place on Saturday night. BYO without charge. Authentic Italian with locally sourced products.
Art Forman
Diane Kessler
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 1232
Joined: November 11th 2009, 12:46pm

Long Island

Post #119  Postby Diane Kessler » November 19th 2017, 1:01pm

ArtF wrote:Snagged a last minute table at Orto in Miller Place on Saturday night. BYO without charge. Authentic Italian with locally sourced products.


I have a reservation next week. I haven’t been in a few years. Any standout dishes?
Diane Kessler
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 1232
Joined: November 11th 2009, 12:46pm

Long Island

Post #120  Postby Diane Kessler » November 19th 2017, 1:04pm

Went to Aria Melanie last night. Main St. in Bayshore. Busy but excellent service $25 corkage with good stemware and good attitude. Food was very good.
ArtF
 
Posts: 83
Joined: November 12th 2014, 7:44pm

Long Island

Post #121  Postby ArtF » November 20th 2017, 12:46pm

Diane Kessler wrote:
ArtF wrote:Snagged a last minute table at Orto in Miller Place on Saturday night. BYO without charge. Authentic Italian with locally sourced products.


I have a reservation next week. I haven’t been in a few years. Any standout dishes?


I recommend everything we ate: rice balls stuffed with bolognese, ground lamb sugo garganelli (with cinnamon and carrots), pork braciole with polenta and sauteed escarole (the sweet polenta and bitter escarole made a delicious combination) and warm custard doughnut with melted chocolate. Except for the expresso being watery, we did not have any better meals in Rome. I brought a Chianti g.s., but think a Barbera or Barbaresco would be a good choice too.

PS-- Finally made it to Chachama Grill. Our new fav. Didn't mind paying to byo. Unfortunately, the byo charge means the large party a few tables over isn't guzzling a 1.5L pinot grigio and laughing hysterically, our only qualm with our meal at Orto.
Art Forman
ArtF
 
Posts: 83
Joined: November 12th 2014, 7:44pm

Long Island

Post #122  Postby ArtF » November 25th 2017, 8:43pm

Returned to Thom Thom in Wantagh. BYO is $15/bottle. Good stems and attitude. Decanters available. Well chosen wine list. Several bottles with some age at good prices. Recommend the Cedar River Farm rib steak and very fresh sushi. Attentive service but dining room tends to get loud.
Art Forman

Return to BYO Forum - Wine at Restaurants

logo
Food Advertising by