Chicago and suburbs

Detailed information, by region, of restaurants and their wine/corkage policies
Michael Klein

Chicago and suburbs

Post #351  Postby Michael Klein » February 20th 2017, 4:55pm

Bummer to hear about cotton duck. Briciola (next to cotton duck) also closed. Sad.

In lighter news, Cellar Door Provisions is now serving pre-fixe byob dinner that looks very promising. 4 courses for $32-$48. Initial reviews have been excellent. I'm going Saturday night and will report back.

Anyone been to ruxbin since they reopened?

Advertisement

Jim Brennan

Chicago and suburbs

Post #352  Postby Jim Brennan » February 20th 2017, 6:47pm

Wadeshanley wrote:The Publican
http://www.thepublicanrestaurant.com
837 W Fulton Market, Chicago, IL 60607

$20 corkage, max 2 bottles. Food is outstanding. Highly recommend the "chef's menu"

Bumping this... surprised it isn't on the list already. Do they not want it advertised??
John Danza

Chicago and suburbs

Post #353  Postby John Danza » February 20th 2017, 10:02pm

Jim Brennan wrote:
Wadeshanley wrote:The Publican
http://www.thepublicanrestaurant.com
837 W Fulton Market, Chicago, IL 60607

$20 corkage, max 2 bottles. Food is outstanding. Highly recommend the "chef's menu"

Bumping this... surprised it isn't on the list already. Do they not want it advertised??

I hadn't added it to the list because anything over $15 corkage seems to me to be a stretch to consider BYOB. But I will add it to the list.
John Danza
Paul Miller
SubscriberSubscriber

Chicago and suburbs

Post #354  Postby Paul Miller » February 21st 2017, 1:59pm

Paul Miller wrote:
Michael Klein wrote:Strings is actually going to open this year closer to wrigley field. great news!

Speaking of near Wrigley...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cozy Noodle
All BYOB all the time - no corkage
Stemware: Small, clunky drinking glasses. I suppose you could bring your own. They do have ice buckets.
3456 N. Sheffield, Chicago IL (1 block south of Wrigley Field)
773-327-0100
http://www.cozychicago.com/home/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Simple and tasty Thai food. The owner is a real character, and one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.

It is BYOB. They will provide glasses, but the glasses are just normal drink glasses, not wine glasses. I suppose you could bring your own. They will put your wine in an ice bucket.

We eat there about every time we go to a Cubs game, or to a concert at Wrigley. Different experience than going to one of the packed bars near Wrigley.

Bump
Matt Fleming

Chicago and suburbs

Post #355  Postby Matt Fleming » March 12th 2017, 12:13pm

An update on Cellar Door Provision's Prix Fixe Menu: great food, in an idiosyncratic sort of way. Pork jowl in a tempura coating, for example. Tiny spoonful or two of a great soup course. Excellent, homemade starter / snack board of vegetables, cheese, butter and bread. Mediocre stems, no decanters, attentive service. A decidedly hipster sensibility, as to be expected given the address. A grade of a solid A.

NEAR in Barrington, not so hot. The food is tasty enough, served in large portions. But the assembly of the plates could gain a lot from some more attention to detail. Glass ware: the stemless sort, one type each from red, white, sparkling. I am not a big fan of the stemless glasses, yet too lazy to bring my own. Service only so-so. A generous B-, a C+ if in a bad mood.
John Danza

Chicago and suburbs

Post #356  Postby John Danza » March 12th 2017, 2:45pm

Matt and Paul, I've updated the list.
John Danza
Corey N.
SubscriberSubscriber

Chicago and suburbs

Post #357  Postby Corey N. » March 12th 2017, 3:23pm

Kendall college corkage is $15/bottle (not $10).

Went twice recently. Food is good and the room is nice, but the wine service is sorely lacking.
In a competitive world, not everybody can follow the pace; you will leave people out. We now accept that we must take care of these people. You cannot let them die in the streets; people will not accept it. And that is right, too. - Arsene Wenger

Nøv¡¢k
John Danza

Chicago and suburbs

Post #358  Postby John Danza » March 12th 2017, 8:30pm

Corey N. wrote:Kendall college corkage is $15/bottle (not $10).

Went twice recently. Food is good and the room is nice, but the wine service is sorely lacking.

I updated the entry. The students aren't polished in wine service. They're learning, since the dining room is part classroom for them. If there's something special you need, speak with Pam Stoner, the dining room instructor, ahead of time and she'll make sure it all comes together for you.
John Danza
Corey N.
SubscriberSubscriber

Chicago and suburbs

Post #359  Postby Corey N. » March 13th 2017, 5:25am

John, I'm pretty tolerant and the service didn't bother me, I meant the comment as a PSA, not a criticism.
In a competitive world, not everybody can follow the pace; you will leave people out. We now accept that we must take care of these people. You cannot let them die in the streets; people will not accept it. And that is right, too. - Arsene Wenger

Nøv¡¢k
John Danza

Chicago and suburbs

Post #360  Postby John Danza » March 13th 2017, 6:54am

Corey N. wrote:John, I'm pretty tolerant and the service didn't bother me, I meant the comment as a PSA, not a criticism.

OK Corey. I guess I misunderstood the use of the term "sorely lacking".
John Danza
Corey N.
SubscriberSubscriber

Chicago and suburbs

Post #361  Postby Corey N. » March 18th 2017, 5:28am

John Danza wrote:
Corey N. wrote:John, I'm pretty tolerant and the service didn't bother me, I meant the comment as a PSA, not a criticism.

Well John, since you apparently feel that I must justify my opinion...

When I sat down I informed the host and the server that we brought wine. I had to request wine glasses three times. After they were finally brought to the table, approximately 15m after we sat down, the server left and I looked around for about 2-3m longer to see whether anyone (service was by committee) was coming by to open the bottle. Nope. Thankfully, we opened with Champagne, which made it easy enough to do myself. We had an similar issue with the second bottle, where no one paid attention to the fact that we needed our bottle opened for a solid 5-10m. If memory serves bottle 3 went fine, and with bottle 4, I searched in vain for a server but it was a twist-off, so no real issue.

I note that the restaurant was not slammed and several servers were chatting casually during dinner service.

On a previous occasion, the server inserted the worm halfway in the cork, pulled, and the cork broke in two. The host suggested it might be the cork (it was fine) and I managed to get it out myself while the server and host stared in awe.

I hope this satisfies your definition of "sorely lacking".

Nøv¡¢k
John Danza

Chicago and suburbs

Post #362  Postby John Danza » March 19th 2017, 11:34am

Corey N. wrote:
John Danza wrote:

Well John, since you apparently feel that I must justify my opinion...

When I sat down I informed the host and the server that we brought wine. I had to request wine glasses three times. After they were finally brought to the table, approximately 15m after we sat down, the server left and I looked around for about 2-3m longer to see whether anyone (service was by committee) was coming by to open the bottle. Nope. Thankfully, we opened with Champagne, which made it easy enough to do myself. We had an similar issue with the second bottle, where no one paid attention to the fact that we needed our bottle opened for a solid 5-10m. If memory serves bottle 3 went fine, and with bottle 4, I searched in vain for a server but it was a twist-off, so no real issue.

I note that the restaurant was not slammed and several servers were chatting casually during dinner service.

On a previous occasion, the server inserted the worm halfway in the cork, pulled, and the cork broke in two. The host suggested it might be the cork (it was fine) and I managed to get it out myself while the server and host stared in awe.

I hope this satisfies your definition of "sorely lacking".

I didn't ask you to justify your opinion. I noted that "sorely lacking" and "I meant the comment as a PSA, not a criticism" are two different things. Your further details on the service shows that "sorely lacking" was a criticism. That's perfectly fine by the way, as it's your statement on your experience. No worries there.

My original comment was based on knowing that this place isn't polished. When I go to Kendall, I handle my wine from start to finish. This is actually true with every restaurant I go to when I'm bringing my own wine. I only want them to bring me glasses (if I haven't brought my own), and then they can back off. It sounds like they failed at the "bring me glasses" part too, which blows. That's the easiest thing to get right.
John Danza
Corey N.
SubscriberSubscriber

Chicago and suburbs

Post #363  Postby Corey N. » March 19th 2017, 12:17pm

I like the concept about Kendall College and for the price it can't be beat, but if I had the same experiences in any other restaurant I'd be pissed off. Going forward, I will handle my own wines there.

Nøv¡¢k
Matt Fleming

Chicago and suburbs

Post #364  Postby Matt Fleming » March 21st 2017, 4:34pm

A quick review of

Aroy Thai
4654 N Damen
773-275-8360

No corkage fees (no license). Excellent Thai food. I do believe the best in the city. More than adequate stems. (One type for all wine). I think the food surpasses current internet reviews, which are nonetheless positive.

If going, the my recommendation for wine is for sturdier riesling and gewurztraminer, with some RS. An excellent vouvray was a bit under powered last night when up against the menu.
Matt Fleming

Chicago and suburbs

Post #365  Postby Matt Fleming » March 21st 2017, 4:37pm

A quick note on Chez Simo: the food was impressive on a recent visit. The lamb shank remains one of my favorite dishes in the city. Stems are still average. Service is by the ownership team, so it is very much a bistro setting. Go for the good food and BYOB. Bring stems and decanters if those are important to you.
Corey N.
SubscriberSubscriber

Chicago and suburbs

Post #366  Postby Corey N. » March 21st 2017, 5:53pm

I'll post a longer note in the restaurant thread, but 4 couples went to Restaurant Michael this past Sunday (free corkage night) and the food was phenomenal. Stems were good and they provided decanters as well, though I don't think we actually used them.

Nøv¡¢k
John Danza

Chicago and suburbs

Post #367  Postby John Danza » March 27th 2017, 3:15pm

Has anyone had any issues with BYO'ing at River Roast? They tell me (actually, my wife) that the corkage is $25/bottle but didn't mention any restrictions. I want to bring a magnum for the table of four. Let me know what your experiences have been. Thanks!
John Danza
John Danza

Chicago and suburbs

Post #368  Postby John Danza » March 27th 2017, 3:16pm

Matt Fleming wrote:A quick note on Chez Simo: the food was impressive on a recent visit. The lamb shank remains one of my favorite dishes in the city. Stems are still average. Service is by the ownership team, so it is very much a bistro setting. Go for the good food and BYOB. Bring stems and decanters if those are important to you.

Matt, this is my "go to" French bistro. I've never had a bad meal there. It's gotten to the point where we go there about once every three weeks on average.
John Danza
Mike Lindauer

Chicago and suburbs

Post #369  Postby Mike Lindauer » April 25th 2017, 8:48pm

Dined at Cochon Volant this evening. It's a French steakhouse on the ground floor of the HyattCentric at 100 W. Monroe. Corkage is $25. Stemware was good, and they decanted our 2001 CdP's. Filet was fabulous, and we enjoyed some interesting sides - creamed spinach, brussel sprouts, and roasted cauliflower.
http://www.cochonvolantchicago.com/
John Danza

Chicago and suburbs

Post #370  Postby John Danza » April 26th 2017, 10:56am

Mike Lindauer wrote:Dined at Cochon Volant this evening. It's a French steakhouse on the ground floor of the HyattCentric at 100 W. Monroe. Corkage is $25. Stemware was good, and they decanted our 2001 CdP's. Filet was fabulous, and we enjoyed some interesting sides - creamed spinach, brussel sprouts, and roasted cauliflower.
http://www.cochonvolantchicago.com/

Added to the list on page 1.
John Danza
jordan whitehead

Chicago and suburbs

Post #371  Postby jordan whitehead » May 15th 2017, 2:06pm

jordan whitehead wrote:Updated:

Ballaro
214 GREEN BAY ROAD,
HIGHWOOD, IL, 60040

excellent contemporary Italian.

very good stems

They will waive corkage to Berserkers mon-thurs. Regular policy fri-sun $20/750ml not on their list

John please update the front page.
John Danza

Chicago and suburbs

Post #372  Postby John Danza » May 15th 2017, 8:55pm

jordan whitehead wrote:
jordan whitehead wrote:Updated:

Ballaro
214 GREEN BAY ROAD,
HIGHWOOD, IL, 60040

excellent contemporary Italian.

very good stems

They will waive corkage to Berserkers mon-thurs. Regular policy fri-sun $20/750ml not on their list

John please update the front page.

All set Jordan. Thanks for the update.
John Danza
Mike Lindauer

Chicago and suburbs

Post #373  Postby Mike Lindauer » June 5th 2017, 2:25pm

Update for Cafe Marbella. Had a truly great meal there last week. They now charge $10 corkage.
Mike Lindauer

Chicago and suburbs

Post #374  Postby Mike Lindauer » June 5th 2017, 2:45pm

Also had a nice meal on Sat at http://www.thaipastry.com/

Perfect before attending an event at the Green Mill, Uptown, or Riviera.
No corkage fee. Good food and service. Their stems were OK too.
Robert Pollard-Smith
(Online)
SubscriberSubscriber

Chicago and suburbs

Post #375  Postby Robert Pollard-Smith » June 9th 2017, 11:39am

Had a very good, if not spectacular dinner at Prosecco on Wells last week. We ordered off the list (seemed to be 2.5 to 3.5X retail), but I asked about corkage, and learned that it is $30 for the first, $40 for the second and $50 for the third bottle, which is their allowed maximum.
He's like a star on a foggy morning
When you think he's near, he's far away
John Danza

Chicago and suburbs

Post #376  Postby John Danza » June 11th 2017, 7:47am

Mike Lindauer wrote:Update for Cafe Marbella. Had a truly great meal there last week. They now charge $10 corkage.

Mike, is that per person like their previous corkage, or is it now per bottle?
John Danza
Mike Lindauer

Chicago and suburbs

Post #377  Postby Mike Lindauer » June 11th 2017, 8:56am

John Danza wrote:
Mike Lindauer wrote:Update for Cafe Marbella. Had a truly great meal there last week. They now charge $10 corkage.

Sorry should have been more specific. $10/bottle, no limit. They didn't actually charge us for all of our bottles.

Also, heard from a friend that El Maya is no longer BYOB.

And sorry to post this here if it's a violation, but I have a Vinotheque wine credenza for sale in Chicago. It won't fit in my basement apartment. I will take best offer, as I need to move it ASAP.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=141347
s.nellessen
(Online)

Chicago and suburbs

Post #378  Postby s.nellessen » June 11th 2017, 10:00am

Mike Lindauer wrote:
John Danza wrote:

Sorry should have been more specific. $10/bottle, no limit. They didn't actually charge us for all of our bottles.

Also, heard from a friend that El Maya is no longer BYOB.

And sorry to post this here if it's a violation, but I have a Vinotheque wine credenza for sale in Chicago. It won't fit in my basement apartment. I will take best offer, as I need to move it ASAP.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=141347

Cafe Marbella is no-corkage on Tuesdays, according to the handwritten sign in their window last week, otherwise $10 as Mike said.
Steve N.
John Danza

Chicago and suburbs

Post #379  Postby John Danza » June 11th 2017, 11:37pm

I've made the list updates from Robert, Mike and Steve.

That's too bad about El Maya. I've pulled them from the list. With Mixteco Grill being closed, that corner just became a BYOB wasteland for great Mexico-inspired food.
John Danza
jordan whitehead

Chicago and suburbs

Post #380  Postby jordan whitehead » June 12th 2017, 9:47pm

according to their website, Restaurant Michael charges $30 corkage
John Danza

Chicago and suburbs

Post #381  Postby John Danza » June 14th 2017, 4:03pm

jordan whitehead wrote:according to their website, Restaurant Michael charges $30 corkage

Entry changed. Thanks.
John Danza

Return to BYO Forum - Wine at Restaurants

logo
Food Advertising by