Old wines

Hi WineBerserkers
I have a question about old wine, what is the limit for the age of a wine?
Because i have a lot of old wines from around 1977 to 1992,
so if there is a limit for the age of a wine, what would it be?
Thanks in advance, -Victor V

It depends A LOT on the storage temperature of the wine. 60-68 or so is good, 70 and above is not recommended. It also depends on the type of wine, the producer’s style, and the strength of the vintage. For instance, Bordeaux from the '60s can be fine. Earlier ones too, if the storage has been very good. Burgundies are also generally good for 20 years plus. Likewise most top California, Spanish, Italian, and German wines. Some producers will make lighter bodied wines designed for earlier consumption though, and those may start to get too soft and bland.

What Paul said. There is no limit per se, but the folks here can give you a much better idea if you let us know (either generally or specifically) what the wines are and how they have been stored.

How long do people live ?- Same answer. [stirthepothal.gif]

Hi Paul! Thanks for the answer,
The wine has been stored in a dark room, with 59 Fahrenheit at summer and a little lower at winter.
I have a list of a few of the wines, if you want to take a look at it. (Or another guy)

Château Grand Bouquey (Saint-Emilion) 1979 x1
Chateau Négrit (St. Emilion) 1985 x3
Chateau Négrit 5L magnum (St. Emilion) 1986 x1
Chateau Le Virou (Bordeaux) 1975 x1
Chateau Le Virou (Bordeaux) 1976 x1
Chateau “La Tour des Graves” (Bordeaux) 1977 x1
Château Puy-Castéra (Haut-Medoc) 1982 x1
Château La Rose Bellavue (Bordeaux) 1983 x4
Château Panigon (Médoc) 1982 x1
Château Moulin du grand verdus (Bordeaux) 1981 x1
Château chante-alouette (St. Emilion) 1987 x1
Château Lestage (Medoc) 1981 x1
Château La Croix Landon (Médoc) 1975 x1
Château Eyquem “Cotes de bourg” (Bordeaux) 1976 x1
Château Cantemerle (Haut-Médoc) 1978 x1
Château Haut-Segottes (St. Emillon) x1
Lamothe Paviol (Bordeaux) 1983 x1
Cabernet Sauvignon (California) 1992 x1
Château La Forét (Bordeaux) 1978 x1
Château Moulin de Baron (Bordeaux) 1986 x1
Vina Baril (Navarra, Spain) 1986 x1
Juliénas (Beaujolais) 1993 x1
Château Saint Paul (Haut-Medoc) 1991 x1
Haut-Canteloup (Médoc) 1981 x1
Château Couat (Bordeaux) 1985 x1

Thanks in advance -Victor V

Hi Ryan, Thanks for the answer!
I have posted a list of some of the wines, and i have written about where the wines have been stored.
I hope you want to take a look at the wines, so i can have an idea of what i can drink.
Thanks in advance -Victor V

Hi Victor,

Your list really doesn’t have any heavy-hitters (Vins de garde that are meant for the long haul), but it should be great fun to try especially the ones from years like 82 and 86 (Bx).

The number one question is:

Do you like old wines?

I would love to try all these wines. My expectations would be low every time (except maybe Cantemerle) but I bet there will be a bunch of good surprises. Don’t expect rich fruity wines, though.

Thank you for taking time in reading my list of wines.
To be quite honest with you, i haven’t really tried alot of old wines. Actually i’ve only tried one, and that is the one on my “avatar”.
I have only been drinking newer wines, to save these old ones.
But i’m sure it is going to be an amazing journey.
-Victor V

Thanks for the answer!
Well i’m not in to the very fruity wines, i like the deep and heavy ones.
But there is only one way to find out how the wines is tasting :slight_smile:
-Victor V

Absolutely. These wines are for drinking! Please post your notes.

Absolutely. These wines are for drinking! Please post your notes.

I sure will!

I agree with Henry. It sounds like these have been stored well, and although you will likely face some variation among bottles, I bet several (or more) will be delicious. I’d love to try all these. At the very least it will be a really interesting exercise.

Victor,

The storage conditions sound excellent! So these could all be in very good shape.

'77 and '81 were not strong vintages in Bordeaux, so those might be the most “iffy”. '76 and '79 were pretty good, and '75 was quite strong. '82 was excellent along with '86, and '83 and '85 were also good. '87 somewhat lighter. But these are all “lesser” Bordeaux, i.e. not the famous big names. So they might have been made in a bit lighter style for earlier consumption? The famous wines often are made with heavier body and a fair amount of tannin, which makes them quite astringent and tough early on, but it also preserves them through the decades and softens with time. So what you’re going to find with your wines is real guesswork.

Older wines are generally about finesse, delicacy, balance, complexity, length, and subtlety. Time can test a wine. It’s their ability to come through with flying colors that has established the reputation of the “great names” of Bordeaux. Still, one can always find surprises!

And the very low storage temperatures your wines have seen may make them seem even youthful yet!

Im not sure why you lumped these together.
'81 was a good vintage, maybe on par with '79. Well stored '81 classed growths can be really good, and often good value. I haven’t seen a '77 in years.

I’ve had some good '81s too, but generally only from the best chateaux. I figured it wasn’t quite as good a vintage as '79, partly because I think of it as being a bit softer and maybe not quite as ageable, but my experience, in general, is limited! Maybe I drank the '79s earlier-on! :slight_smile:

Should be a fun experiement to taste through them!