What am I not liking?

There’s something about some red wines that my wife and I don’t like and can’t seem to pinpoint it.

It’s the taste at the end of the wine. Kind of bitter or dry. Not sure how to describe it. Sometimes it’ll be better after a day. Kinda softens that taste.

It doesn’t matter on type of red wine. We like cabernets, pinot noirs, merlots and syrahs. Just something about some red wines that doesn’t do it.

It appears in wines from the same producer and vintage also.

For example we tried a few tastings of Freeman wines at the winery and only liked the Keefer due to the finish. These were recent wines at the winery, not aged.

We had a bottle of Sea Smoke, not sure which one but were disappointed with that one also.

Same with CrossBarn by Paul Hobbs. We liked the 39 and didn’t like the 38.

When tasting Joseph Phelps the recent ones were not desirable but the ones aged at least 5 years were.

Some popular wines we like are Kosta Browne Pinots, Shafer Relentess, Louis Jadot Pinot, Two Hands Shiraz Barossa Valley Bellas Garden.

Any help would be appreciated!

I believe you may be describing tannins.

I thought about that but all red wines have tannins yes? How would I read reviews or figure out what to look for without having to purchase first?

Yes but in varying degrees and usually more when young. I have found some varieties to be, generally, less tannic such as Zinfandel and Merlot and Grenache. You’ll find some good info with a search for “tannins” in this forum.

All reds have tannin but not to the same degree. Some naturally have less than others. Also with age or with food tannin impact can decrease. One thing to try when you have one of those wines that exhibit the characteristics that you don’t like is to try it after a piece of cheese and see if it changes to something you like better. Generally the fat in cheese will mellow the tannin and many people will find that a wine they found too bitter is now just fine.

Also notice if you taste/feel in on a specific part of your tongue. I notice tannins down the middle more but acid more on the tip.

I have known some people to become relatively immune to tannins over time while others never get past them. I like black coffee and IPA so its a rare wine that shows too much tannin for me but occasionally I do find them. Other folks who put milk and sugar in their coffee and prefer bud light may never like red wine. Many folks in between those extremes.

Red wines have tannins, acidity and fruit, when they are young they tend to fight each other for dominance, as they age they smooth out. When tasters talk about ‘good balance’ they mean that each of these things are present in the right quantities and will mellow out into a beautiful wine. Tannins are astringent and dry out your inner cheeks, acidity is the bit that leaves your salivating as if you have eaten a lemon.
The more mature a wine is, generally the lass tannin will be present which is why you prefer the wine the next day. I live in Burgundy and personally can’t bear to drink red Burgundy less than 5 years old and positively avoid other red wines.

Read reviews about the style of a vintage - some will be “forward and accessible”, meaning softer, less tannic, and more approachable early on. “Classic” and “great” vintages tend to be quite tannic when young, as that component insures ageability, and often accompanies strong fruit. It os not a “constant” though, as it varies by region and by type of wine. So a “great” French Bordeaux vintage might be a softer Burgundy vintage at the same time, for instance.

Some wines will be more accessible in general, made for early consumption, restaurant consumption, etc. These will usually be the less expensive ones!

Decanting and a wait of an hour or more will usually help. Don’t get such a wine too cold either, as that will emphasize those dry tannins as well as the acidity in the wine.

a lot of the good fruit forwards have minimal tannin, aussie shiraz, caymus. that said, oenophiles often enjoy the slight bite of the well integrated tannin…

I not like specific kind of red wines but you cant say that you don’t like something in general cause I bet you could like some sorts of red wine

I agree with Chris’ assessment. From what you describe it also appears to me that you’re disagreeing with tannins, which is understandable. You may also object to wines with a higher acidic profile.

If you’re looking for smooth, velvety and well balanced wines then seek out Thomas Rivers Brown. He is the wine maker for a several top labels and has a PHD is smoooooooooooooth non-tannic finishes. His hand is imprinted on offerings from such labels as Schrader, Outpost, Rivers-Marie, Casa Piena, Hestan, Maybach, Seaver Family Vineyards and Black Sears. He’s probably the hottest wine maker in California right now.