Wine Advice/worth

Hi there wine lovers

I have received a bottle of wine of which I’d appreciate some advice/info. It is:

Weingut St Remigius, Baden, 2003er, Merdiger Buhl, Spatburgender Rotwein - D79291.

Could someone give me an opinion/information about this wine and also it’s value?

Many thanks.

Indeterminate. Not worth a ton. The 2010 appears to be for sale for about $20.

http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/remigius+spatburgunder

Now whomever gave this to you likely cared for it lovingly for 7-10 years, so the intent was likely to drink it.

Hello Rebecca and welcome to the board!

I do not know much about this wine, but a search on WineSearcher.com shows 2009 and 2012 vintages of this wine retailing for $8-14 in Germany.
Where to buy Weingut Saint Remigius Merdinger Buhl | prices & local stores in USA

Hopefully someone here knows something about the wine. But this is quite low in value, so you might as well pop it open and let us know what you think!

Hi Eric and Poppy

Thanks for your speedy replies!
Why is there nothing on the internet about this year? Are some years of this type of wine rarer than others?

Throughout Europe 2003 was a very hot vintage. This led to a lot of wines have plummy, jammy, and stewed fruit qualities with an over-abundance of alcohol. That is a generalization and certainly not true for all wines of the vintage, but it is generally not considered a very good vintage or one that shows true typicity of the wines.

As for this wine in particular… wines of that value tend to be drunk rather quickly and are not really meant for aging. So it would be rare to find bottles like this around. I’d give it a try and see what you think.

Many thanks Poppy for the in-depth reply. Will perhaps have to sample it at the weekend!