New to wine, where should i start??

I am new to wine and i dont know where to start.

I have done some research in the past, such as the types of grapes, and about the terms, difference in white and reds,
etc etc.

i have just turned 21 couple weeks ago, and i am ready to dive into the world of wine.

What is a good cheap red wine that i can go to start with?
something to ease me into this world.

thank you for the advices

I would suggest you get a copy of Robert Parker’s “Wine Buyer’s Guide”. It has a tremendous amount of general and specific information about virtually all the wines and wine regions of the world. Then, when you try something, you can see what he says about that region, the vintage year, the grapes used, and maybe even the specific producer. You can also see what producers he thinks are “above average”, and then look for their lower-priced wines.

There are all sorts of good inexpensive wines out there, and it depends on what is available in your area. I would also recommend that you start a small notebook, and write down your impressions of what you try. That will encourage you to “think” about what you are tasting, and also help you remember later on!

See how breathing time and serving temperature affect how a wine tastes. Young full-bodied wines will probably benefit fromm decanting then an hour’s wait. With fine, older, mature wines I plan ahead, pull the cork at least several hours in advance, take a very small initial taste to enlarge the surface area (so the wine will breathe better), and then let the wine breathe slowly without decanting. This is called the slow-O approach, or the “Audouze method” named after Francois Audouze, a French collector who tastes a lot of very old great wines and who posts here occasionally. This approach lets an older wine deepen and develop with the breathing time, but avoids too much oxygen that might cause it to get too soft or oxidized.

Post a note or question about what you try on the “Wine Talk” section! Best of Luck… Paul

Find a reputable local wine shop. They should have some tastings. That’s a good way to get your feet wet. Welcome to WB.

I would start out by going to tastings, so that you can determine what types of wines (grapes, styles, etc.) you seem to like, rather than buying full bottles. There is no sense buying a full bottle of something that you are going to hate. If you really do want to go the bottle route however, consider inviting a number of friends over and have everybody bring a bottle. That way you can sample many different wines in one night and you can start making some determinations about the types of ones that you like.

Most people that I know that are beginning to drink wine tend to prefer white wine to red wine and wines with sweetness. Over time, most wine drinkers start to gravitate to drier wines and red wine. To novice wine drinking friends of mine, I will often recommend the Dr L Riesling that is widely available for about $10.

Drink what you love and love what you drink. Not everybody will like the same wines as you and that’s okay. Drinking wine is about your enjoyment and not about what some so-called experts tell you that you should enjoy. Trust your own pallet and recognize that it may shift from time to time – this is completely normal.

Most of all remember to have fun. Welcome.

+1. Additionally, get to know the people at the local wine shop.

Taste, read, and taste some more. The local wine shop is a great idea for tastings; also, start a tasting group w/friends and have themes–be careful and learn to “spit.” Don’t buy too much of any one wine, as your taste/palate will change. Follow this board.

Well said sir.

All of the above are perfect answers.

I’d add - watch amongst the people you know, their parents, grandparents, older (than you) associates and look for a ‘mentor’ who might enjoy sharing tastes and information from his/her experience…which may lead you to local tasting clubs or the best tasting shops, etc.

I know I love to ‘corrupt’ virgin palates and ruin Yellow Tail for them!

After asking around, I bet you’ll have people clamoring to pour for you and help introduce you to local hobby resources!

You should start in Burgundy! That’s where you’ll eventually end up. :wink:

Go to some place like Whole Foods and buy wine flights, usually 3 wines that have some similarity or commonality, e.g. Chardonnay - 1 from Burgundy, 1 from Calif, 1 from somewhere else. Each time, do a different flight.

really? Wow for a young age you are already thinking of getting into the wine business. That’s great. Good luck on your career buddy!.

[u]australia[/u]

I haven’t looked at any recent additions but I have often recommended this book as a great starter read on wine Amazon.com

Not sure where you live but it is always great to visit wine regions. You can get all the recommended stops right here at Berserkers.

Jason

And have them get to know you and what you like. A good retailer is your best friend. If you want to tell us where you live, I am sure someone can make suggestions as to local retailers.

Agree with Greg here; although incessantly reading and reading on subjects that interest you provides great context, with wine, tasting many styles, regions, etc. will provide one with the best learning if it is done broadly and without as much preconceived notion as possible. Enjoy the ride. It is a slippery slope!

Dude posted once then never came back.

Probably did not like the bottle of yellow tail he bought and decided to go back to miller high life.

That’s ok. Either he pursues, or not. Not a big deal either way unless he truly contributes.

This thread was very helpful! Thanks to everyone who contributed. After reading this, I went to a tasting at a local wine shop shortly after. Bold wines were in today- Zinfandel, Cabernet, and Merlot. The Zinfandel (Michael-David “Earthquake” 2011) blew my head back. Strongest wine I’ve had in a long time, haha. I had a good time though!

Does it seem like about 1/2 the posts were removed from this thread? Why would that be?

Really? Didn’t notice … but am curious.

J

No? [scratch.gif]