allocation vs wine store

Looking for input from anyone who might have had a similar situation. I have recently found a local wine store that carries virtually all the wines I have been trying to collect. Problem is that some of these I am either already getting an allocation, or I am on the waiting list for them. So now I am conflicted, because I want to support the local vendor, whose prices are actually cheaper when I don’t pay shipping from the winery, but I don’t always get offers for excdlusives from the wineries if I drop off the lists. What suggestions do you guys have for managing this? Do a little of both? Am I overlooking any major advantage of one over the other? Thanks!

If you expect the store to be a consistent supplier of these wines at a lower price, what is the advantage to staying on the allocation list?

The only reason to pay full price at the winery on allocation is because the only other way to source the wine is through a secondary market (auction, etc.).

Or, perhaps to get “exclusives”, in which case you have to ask yourself whether it’s worth paying extra for widely available wines to have the opportunity to buy exclusives. Hard to generalize on that one.

I agree with Andrew. In some instances, if you can get many of the wines at the retailer for less, it’s hard to manage both. Depending on the winery, maybe you can get somebody to buy some of the wines off you (the ones that you might not need/want). You might also see if they have a wine club, as wine club members sometimes get discounts on the wine they buy, and if you do, that might be your ticket to the best of both worlds.

I stick with the winery in cases like this.

If buying a case, the frequent 20% discount can help make up the difference vs. retail, and the odds and ends that mailing lists often provide for small batch wines add to the fun. Also, I know what my stream will be so I don’t have to stress about shopping, and I am directly supporting a winery I like.

Thanks all for the advice. I think I will continue on some of my most cherished lists just to take advantage of the perks and exclusivity, but use my LWS for the items I know are a bit more pedestian. At least for now. Again, thanks! I appreciate the help. [cheers.gif]

I use to do the winery route, now going more retail. I simply don’t want to take cases I. Both spring and fall of all wineries I subscribe to. I want to take smaller quantities and buying mixed cases from well supplied retailers out of state is often less expensive per bottle than any club.

I pick up most Oregon wines from sec cheaper than being on the list.

Another argument in going with your local retailer (which is great to keep them around), is you can select the wines you want, rather than requirements of possibly purchasing wines you are not interested in, just so you can get some special bottlings.

StoryTeller and Sec for me. A good wine shop can direct you to your style preference, some offer tastings which are helpful.

A Wine shop cause you can allocate what you need and they have their own style and spirit

Buying the wines at retail also helps insure that the winery maintains wholesale distribution in your state.

I would say it depends. Many of the wines I really like are not available at retail like Saxum, Booker, Torrin, Ovid, or some higher end Foxen or a Tablas Creek wines. Also, if you live in CA, as I do, I visit wineries all the time. I do not pay tasting room fees. Lastly, some wines are cheaper at the winery .