What is "cryo-maceration"?

Came across this term in the notes for a wine I just bought. Is it the same as cryo-extraction? What is the reason for using it and what affect does it have on the final product?

TIA for all responses.

It’s been a while. Hope this helps:

http://www.scielo.cl/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0717-34582011000600008

Also begs a question of how many winemakers as a percentage are using this cooling method?

Common in Burgundy. Also known as prefrementation maceration or vatting. Some desirable compounds are more soluble in a non-alcoholic solution. Cooling the must before fermentation allows this to occur. I believe that Jayer popularized this in Burgundy.

They call that Metodo di Grazia in Italy, it’s how you make “barolo” taste like Cali Syrah. neener [soap.gif] [stirthepothal.gif]

Any pre-fermentation maceration allows for the extraction of tannin and flavors in a purely aqueous solution. In other words, juice without any alcohol. This cryo-maceration is quite rare, but if you wanted to extract and preserve a lot of flavor and really limit the tannin, this could be used. Most winemaking that involves “cold soaking” or “cold maceration” takes advantage of this principle, but without the extreme that is cryo. I pick my grapes early in the morning, process as fast as I can get the interns to work (coffee helps), and get the grapes into a tank while still cold so that I can set up this cold soak. Cold also delays the onset of fermentation, which bring on the fast-extracting conditions that are heat and alcohol.