Is Chablis as susceptible to premox as whites from the Cote?

Is it a “old world” chardonnay issue or a regional issue? Is Chablis less affected than the Cote d’Or?

From my experience it is the same risk

Agreed.

I have had slightly better luck, but still have seen quite a bit of premox. With older (1994-2004) bottles from the Cote, I am batting less than 50%, with Chablis, I would guess 33% are bad. Either way, it still sucks!

As a follow up: When does one consume their Chablis, the 5 to 8 year after vintage? I have heard, “5yrs after vintage is a nadir for many Chablis…”

Here is my take on it:

From my experience, it would depend on the Chablis producer and the cru level. Preusses takes the longest to come around, while the four 2nd tier Grand crus come around faster. In the premier cru, Vaillons and Montee de Tonnerre take the longest to come around while others might need like 5 years max. Some of the better named ones (Raveneau, Dauvissat) will take longer than others. Others are made intentionally to be drank later in life (Jean Dauvissat, Etienne Defaix) while some (Christian Moreau) would prefer (as he told me) that their wines to be drank in their youth.
Finally, depends on your personal taste. I like Chablis fresh and vibrant with seashell sensations that light your nose hair on fire. I do not like aged Chablis that is indistinguishable from Meursault (which happens to grand crus that are oaked and don’t age well) by losing their razor sharp acidity.