Investing Early

Hey everyone, new to the site and am really starting to get into wine. I’m a drinker but want to start investing. I’m young and want to start investing now and would love some suggestions. I’d like to get into bordeauxs but am open to others. Thanks

welcome and clarify what you mean by investing. If you mean making money on wine, you have likely chosen the wrong hobby.
alan

There are wine investment funds, mainly based in Europe; but it’s still highly speculative. Several have gone bust already.

If you mean buying on release and saving for personal, aged consumption, that is another story.

My advice would be to buy more Classic Producers early on. Maybe one a month or whatever your budget will allow. Burgundy, Bordeaux, and other major regions have only gotten more and more expensive in the past 10 years…buy the top producers from these regions now while you can at a “reasonable” price. Some of the wines that come to mind to invest in for your cellar to enjoy later would be:

1. Musar
  2. François Raveneau
  3. Clos de Lambrays
  4. Giacomo Conterno
  5. Bruno Giacosa
  6. Beaucastel
  7. Keller
  8. Jacques-Frédéric Mugnier
  9. Biondi Santi
  10. Krug
  11. JJ Prum
  12. Clos Rougeard
  13. Dagueneau
  14. Pontet-Canet
  15. Rieussec

Joshua S has to give a full name and answer posts so far or be considered a troll. Come back or don’t expect detailed answers. One post without a surname…

Woah woah woah, definitely not a troll. I am talking about buying something early and then saving for aged consumption, very nice gifts for good friends and possibly sell for a minimal profit, all on a small scale.

Just forget about the prospect of ever selling for a profit and you will be on the right track.
Before you buy much wine to age, sample from older vintages to make sure you really like the mature versions.
Then make sure the style of wine making has not changed.

P Hickner

this is a full name board. please provide your surname in your signature or elsewhere.

I’m young (31) and started investing at the ripe old age of 29 after a long wine event that had a 20% discount on anything you ordered from the 250 tables or roughly 500 wines present. It was awesome.

Here’s what I do and why I do it. Maybe the later first:

I love to entertain. I like to have friends over and cook/drink. Sometimes just drink. I’m fortunate that I have some economical means, but nothing special. I love to tell stories as well – and I don’t mean big lies – but just fun things about my job or the company I’m starting or whatever…

Here’s what I do:
I find a specific piece of the wine world and learn a little bit about it. Let’s say, Napa. I watched “Bottle Shock”. OK – Cool story, my wife and I enjoyed it. Let’s buy some of the wine from it and try it. Now I’ve got Napa Chard and I want to dig a little deeper. Drink some general Napa Chard’s, some other varietals, and then maybe something from another part of the world. What are the differences, what do I like? Most importantly – what will I enjoy drinking and talking about.

I’d also recommend taking a wine trip. I just spent 3 days visiting 13 wineries in Napa. Was a great trip, found a few great wineries and wines that aren’t distributed that I can pick up via websites or a phone call or a mailing list. Cool stories to tell.

Net – Don’t just pick a region and buy the wine. Find stuff you like and want to enjoy, learn a little about it, then buy it.

• Jeff

Nice story, Jeff. Your experiences will grow. Your likes and dislikes will change. Food friendly wines and stand alone are quite different animals.

Our OP only has two posts to date. Troll or busy guy TBD.

Contact Rudy Kurniawan for sure. That guy is the king of investing in wine. Drinks well, sells well. A wealth of information available right here on Wine Berserkers. champagne.gif

Nick c… your surname?

The op may not know the etiquette ( or could be a troll), but my guess is no. I think it’s a bit unfair to blast a new guest for not doing something you seem to have overlooked. ((unless I missed your surname)

Todd I agree with being a little more polite to the newbie. Welcome to the board Joshua.
Nick’s last name is Cheek- like on your face

Thanks Suzanne! Whoops, My mobile app mustn’t show the bottom. Welcome Joshua

I think both of the young investors should rethink their strategy.

Just taste, taste and more taste now. Attend tastings as often as you can. Buy sparingly. Try anything and everything. Keep notes and over time decide what you really like.

Do your investing in retirement, not wine.

FWIW I’d much rather have spent $150K on 05 Bordeaux & Burgundy than the house I bought in CA!

Joshua I’d get on the Monte Bello collectors list if Ridge is adding anyone.

ill sell you a bunch of bottles that should sky rocket in price :wink: you will make a fortune, and will only cost you $ XXX,XXX up front.

lol

Joshua
Worth a read of Jim Budd’s ‘Invest Drinks’ site for an insight into some of the organised scams in this space - crazy to go into it with eyes closed.

My best suggestion would be to hedge your bets. Choose wines that you enjoy, and that are ageworthy. If they end up worth a lot more in the future, then great. If not, then you have wines that you would happily drink yourself.

Sadly a lot of people have got into wine investment recently, in the expectation that wine drinkers will happily pay 2-3 times the price for wines that they’ve paid in the past. There will be disappointment when the market for some wines disappears because of the escalation in prices.

regards
Ian