Suggestions on Glasses for Champagne

Although this isn’t quite wine, I was wondering if anyone knew what type of Champagne flute glasses would be suited for a large event that will roughly have about 300 people. I do want to lean more on the inexpensive side for these glasses, since it is such a large number of glasses being purchased and also being given away. I was orginially planning to purchase Libbey glasses, but wasn’t sure if the quality of the glass would be considered too thick. Please let me know! Thanks!

I’m wondering why you would give away cheap Champagne flutes (as opposed to renting from a caterer)?

You could try this Riedel Vivant stems from Target:

http://www.target.com/p/riedel-vivant-champagne-flutes-set-of-4/-/A-10077709

$10/each, and perhaps you could find them cheaper if you buy in the quantities you’re talking.

Saw these on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Luigi-Bormioli-Atelier-Champagne-Glasses/dp/B000EN5YTA/ref=sr_1_9?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1369498158&sr=1-9&keywords=wine+glasses+flute

Many of us here don’t use flutes for Champagne but I am assuming for this event you want flutes.

I like these for a bunch of different wines and is my go to for bubbles. Amazon.com

I have to say I have really disliked all of the Libbeys I have encountered. Although I am not sure I have used their flutes.

Jason

I have a buddy that swears by Zalto. I usually use a Bdx style stem or whatever is handy.

They are my favorite but not for 300 people!

What is the Champagne you’re pouring? As Jason says almost any Champagne will show better from a white wine glass than from a flute so that gives you some more options.

I agree with using white wine glasses. When I serve Champagne for me and my husband, I use white wine glasses. I keep flutes on hand for guests. I can just hear my guests think, “if such a wine maven and former sommelier, how come she doesn’t know about flutes.” But most folks who are not wine savvy, think you MUST use flutes, so…you probably do want flutes.

For 300 people I would use traditional flutes either rented (preferred) or purchased with a rather low volume. This is not a “tasting” situation but rather a shared event with many non-winegeek people who believe champagne should be served in flutes. Give them what they want and remember that flutes can serve a smaller volume quite readily and effectively. Four ounces in a bigger glass looks very lonely or at worse cheap! If you are serving this at La Paulee, go for the Zalto. If you decide to use a different glass for yourself, be discrete. Mike

Maggie - au contraire, for Champagne IS wine - very much so!!

I prefer Champagne out of a standard Burgundy stem, myself, or one of the rare Reidel Rhone stems they gave away at Hospice du Rhone a couple years ago. However, my fiancee insists on flutes, so the best I’ve found, by far, are those mentioned by Joe Kim: Zalto.

http://www.winemonger.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1740

The bowl is big enough, and tapered enough to express the intricacies of a fine Champagne, and we use this stem 90% of the time as a result.

Be a PLAYA; Baccarat Massena Flutes for ALL !

I don’t think Maggie ever came back. Which is fine since half the people giving her answers didn’t even read her question [berserker.gif] [wink.gif]

Jason

I think she can still mingle with her guests so long as she’s discreet about it.

I import Champagne and most of my producers recommend a Riedel Vinum Riesling glass or something similar.