Corroded Capsules

Hi all!

I’m new to the auction scene, and I am wondering what specifically does the term “corroded capsule” imply? I know that, literally, the foil capsule shows signs of corrosion, but what is the cause as well as the effect on the wine? Do capsules corrode due to exposure to higher than optimal humidity within the cellar, or is something else at play? Lastly, how does this differ from an “oxidized capsule?” Most of my wine purchases are relatively young bottles coming from physical retailers or mailing lists, so I don’t have much experience yet with buying older bottles from auction.

Thanks!

Some of the older capsules were made of lead (which were banned in '96). Capsules are generally for aesthetics, and have no effect on the wine inside. But if you intend to drink any bottle with a corroded capsule, make sure to clean the lip before pouring wine.

Interesting…will capsules naturally corrode or oxidize over time? Or is the presence of corrosion/oxidation an implication of improper storage?

We see oxidized capsules on almost a daily basis, and classify it only as a cosmetic issue which is often associated with a humid cellar. It is true that older capsules have a higher tenancy to oxidize, but we do still see it happen with new bottles - and it is often producer specific. Opus One is a great example - those black capsules show it well and it seems like you have an almost a 50/50 chance of seeing an oxidized cap on an older Opus.

If the capsule is corroded, is it customary (or necessary) to remove the capsule to inspect the cork for leakage, etc to verify? Also, if I have a corroded capsule should I remove it (or do anything else) to prevent damage of any kind? Occasionally I see bottles offered with the capsule removed and was curious why that would be.

[cheers.gif]

[cheers.gif]

Pat,
It is neither customary or necessary to remove a corroded capsule. I have seen no correlation between corroded capsules and signs of seepage. I would not recommend removing the capsule, as that could have an effect on the resale value of a wine. It is not necessary. Corrosion and oxidation of capsules is merely a cosmetic defect of a bottle and has no effect on the wine inside the bottle.

As Enzo said, sometimes we do a butterfly cut on capsules in order to view the cork to authenticate the wine. We never remove an entire capsule.

Cheers,
Poppy Davis
Associate Director, Fine & Rare Wine
Heritage Auction Galleries

Thanks for all the great info!

Yes, thank you. I have generally not been interested in auctions because of the uncertainty in the providence of the bottle, but this helps a lot.