Know your Bottle Size & Name

Half bottle/Split 375 milliliters 750 750 milliliters, standard bottle size Magnum 1.5 liters / 2 bottles Jeroboam 3 liters / 4 bottles Double Magnum 3 liters / 4 bottles Rehoboam 4.5 liters / 6 bottles Methusalah 6 liters (term used for sparkling wine) Imperial 6 liters / 8 bottles (term for still wine) Salmanazar 9 liters / 12 bottles Balthazar 12 liters / 16 bottles Nebuchadnezzar 15 liters / 20 bottles (used for Berserkerfest sipping) Soverign 50 liters / 67 bottles

I thought ‘split’ more commonly referred to a 187ml quarter bottle?

Dont forget the Maximus… 173 bottles in that bad boy!

Oh great. So now instead of saying, “Let’s open up another bottle of wine,” I have to say, “Hey, let’s open up another standard bottle size of wine.” This business is complicated.

Commonly, and confusingly, used for both sizes. I was taught a split was 375 (a “split 750”) and because that is the usage I learned, it is plainly the correct one. “[drinkers.gif]” But I have often been “corrected” by the misinformed. Nice forum, by the way. Just noticed it.

I have never heard that term used for a 187. Who can drink a bottle that tiny anyway? “[cheers.gif]”

It’s actually “standard bottle size” for Zach & Yoni.

Or Paris Hilton’s little yap dog.

Jeroboam is 5 liters in Bordeaux Methusalah is used for Burgundy as well. Melchior 18 liters

+1

This should help:

I’ve not heard “split” used for 187. I cut and pasted from a wine info web site, except for the berserker bottle “newhere”

Carrie, see chart above. Also, if you’re referring to Leo’s NY bottle, the Taittinger Francaise, I believe it was a 12 Liter…a Balthazar.

That’s a great chart, thanks Jorge—and thanks Carrie for starting this thread. I didn’t know (though I should have guessed) that there were bottle names for 500 ml and 620ml bottles (yes, I’ve had 500ml Tokaji and 620 ml Vin Jaune bottles before). I don’t see one there for a 200ml bottle, which one of our icewine producers uses. I was looking for Solomon and Primat designations and see them here. Rather amusingly, the 30-litre “Melchizedek” translates roughly as “King of Righteousness”.

+1 Jeroboam is only 4 bottles in sparklers/Champagne.

I don’t have the info in front of me, but I believe that in the 19th century there was a “tregnum” or something of the like. This was a three-bottle size.

Correct. It’s shown on the chart.

+2

Large format names vary from region. Split imo is 187 (champagne splits).

I mentioned it because it’s not on Carrie’s chart at the beginning of the thread.