Kickstarter: ZOS Halo wine preservation system

Not sure exactly how this works, but it sounds like a cartridge/stopper that absorbs oxygen from the dead space in a bottle. On Kickstarter now:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1113539804/zos-halo-wine-preserver

Of course, my reaction to these things (I own a Coravin) is always that I rarely have a half-empty bottle to use them on.

So now we need a discussion of whether absorbing 100% of the oxygen is as or more effective as never opening the bottle at all and creating an Argon-rich atmosphere in the open space, or creating that atmosphere in an opened bottle. Al???

i bought one, but i’m a sucker for tech.

Let us know how it works out. If you want a Coravin, I’ll trade you!

will do. i normally either drink a bottle in one sitting on give it away. I have never had any sort of vac system work worth beans.

Got an e mail about a new wine preservation system called Halo.

Anybody seen one or tried one yet?

Nope. And not much discussion about it last time around… Kickstarter: ZOS Halo wine preservation system - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

I did a quick search via the Google machine on the Interwebs and it doesn’t appear to be new or very good.
http://www.qvc.com/Halo-Intelligent-Vacuum-Stopper-Wine-Preserver.product.K35856.html

Not the same product, though odd they’d use the same name as another product on the market, in the same industry

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1113539804/zos-halo-wine-preserver/posts/1894309?ref=backer_project_update

The e mail I got was about the ZOS Halo.

You guys need to drink faster…

Sounds like the systems they used for fire suppression in the computer room at computer centers. I don’t know if they still do. We used to say, “when the Halon gas alarm goes off in the room you’re in, sit down, put your head between your legs, and kiss your ass goodbye.”

I am getting one to try with Vermouth. I have a bunch that I use for cocktails, and they usually go bad before I finish them. If this works I will be stoked.

So I should throw out my bottle of Vermouth I opened 20 years ago? [bye.gif]

Oh, no–I’m sure it’s fine :slight_smile:

got mine today, curios to see how they work. Seems to use some sort of pellet in the cartridge, maybe some sort of sicaca bead?

What’s sicaca?

Aren’t those the desiccant packets that say do not eat?

Maybe the Seoul International Animation Cartoon Artists Invitational Exhibition?

In any case, that Halo thing says it sucks the oxygen out of the bottle. And what? Leaves a vacuum? Why is that a good idea since it will result in any dissolved gas in the wine filling the space? Or does it replace with argon, in which case it’s nothing new?

I’ve received mine, and having trouble with both thus far. First one wouldn’t unscrew, no matter what I do. 2nd one did, easily, but when doing the setup, I had to try 4 times to get it so it wouldn’t stay red, with a brand new cartridge.

Haven’t experimented with wine yet, but thus far I’m not impressed with all the problems