Koolr / Vintage Keeper, Craigslist Eurocave, or something else?

We’re looking to get a 240 bottle Koolr because we really like the idea of being able to just replace the cooling unit if it breaks. It seems less wasteful that way. However, we are concerned that it seems we have to build it ourselves and it’s Ikea-like in overall finish. I also read in forum posts that the cooling unit breaks every 3 years or so. Are there other options like this where we can just replace the cooling unit?

The other option is to get a used Eurocave from Craigslist. They usually go for $500-800 it seems, but the problem is it could just break down immediately and I wouldn’t have any recourse buying it from a private party seller. The brand seems to be highly regarded also. Not sure if it can be fixed though if the unit breaks down though.

What would you do in our situation? We are in a 1-story home in Burbank where summers get pretty hot. Thanks!

Have couple craigslist buys with eurocaves, both going well for several years.

We just sold our 17 year-old 220-bottle Vinotemp because we moved into a place too small for it. It was still working just fine… thank you very much. Vinotemps get huge amounts of hate from most wine folk, partly for customer service issues, but due to the NEED for customer service. So … the idea of a three-year life isn’t going down well at all with me.

I have heard bad things about Koolr. I contact them when I was building my cellar and was unhappy with the response. The fact that i couldn’t get them on the phone bothered me.

hey there! i bought the KoolR 500 a year ago and have been very happy. we assembled it in a TINY NYC bedroom and it was miserable. since moving to DC, we rebuilt it in a larger bedroom and it was easy peasy. you are correct that it’s IKEA-style finish. it’s basically a big IKEA cabinet with an A/C unit in it.

the same price seemed to fetch me only 9+ year old EuroCaves on CL, and i’m just as concerned about that cooling unit crapping out as the KoolR. at least the KoolR is easy to replace the cooling unit.

I have read bad things about all units. I’m about to buy a Koolr figuring I’m out the least amount of money when it goes.

You can search older threads on this.
I use a Koolr/ Vintage keeper for some of my cellar. Have had it 11 years and replaced the unit twice. I happen to live reasonably close to their facility in Toronto, so I can remove the unit, drive there, pick it up and install it, all the same day.
I wouldn’t be so confident if I was further away & had to rely on delivery (I might still use them, but buy a back-up).
Paul is right, they’ve been short-staffed since the beginning of time and while they process orders & warranties quickly in my experience, they’re incredibly hard to reach via phone or email. You have to use their online system. I think Marie is still there and really the only “customer service” they have. She’s was very nice the two times I’ve met her.

I think vintage keeper isn’t great for warmer weather or high humidity. I think if it was running in our fall/ winter/spring the units would last 2-3 times as long. In the summer with the home A/C set at 76, it works pretty hard on especially humid days.