Burgundy - where to really begin?

I’ve had a couple bottles of burgundy at different social gatherings that I really enjoyed, though the names of most of them escape me. I want to start taking Burgundy more seriously and appreciate differences in wines made by different producers, subregions and AOCs within Burgundy, but I’m not sure where to begin. Is it worth getting a book to read about this?

There is a pretty good documentary on Burgundy Reds on you tube produced by LCBO, the Liquor Control Board of Ontario. It might be a good basic introduction to the region and the different levels. There is another one on white Burgundy too.

The whole LCBO Discover Series is pretty good. I watched the one on Port last night. I think they have one for most of the major growing regions around the world.

Hi Brian
There are some very in-depth books out there, including relatively recent ones by Clive Coates & Jaster Morris. They may be large tomes, but Burgundy nuts seem to love the detail.

Bill Nanson’s site is well worth bookmarking, and has both info and notes to peruse… https://www.burgundy-report.com/

As ever the best way is to taste, but if you’re enjoying what you taste now, I’d just say keep sampling, making notes of what’s good & what’s not so good for your palate. The books & other resources will be of more interest (I reckon) if you’ve got a few of your own points of reference.

regards
Ian

Coates’ book Cote d’Or is huge but the best place to start. It goes through Burgundy village by village and it’s very logical in its description of the different grand and premier crus therein. Jasper Morris’ book is good, but it’s quite similar to Coates’ with less detail. If you want to get excited, Remington Norman’s “Grand Cru” is great.

If you’re in the greater Boston area, Gordon’s in Waltham offers a lot of good tastings.