What does 'creamy' refer to in a tasting note?

What does ‘creamy’ refer to in a tasting note? Is it the texture of cream, or the flavor? My assumption is texture, but I think it’s safer to make no assumptions. [basic-smile.gif]

Usually means I won’t like it. :slight_smile:

I take it to mean a lot of glycerine a lot of extract, thick and low acid.

Having said that, I’ve seen reviewers write that and the wine fail to come across as creamy. So, I’m not sure everyone means the same thing.

I’ve certainly experienced wine I would describe as creamy and I’m not sure why anyone would consider it desirable, but maybe that’s just me.

Creamy in a champagne to me means a specific mouth feel…

Yes creamy indicates a fine soft mousse in Champagne, in Riesling I tend to think of it as sponti related (the sulphur like reduced nose from spontaneous fermentation using natural yeasts).

It can also indicate low acidity in certain cases, that I don’t like.

‘Creamy,’ with some overlap if interchanged with ‘buttery,’ could also allude to malolactic conversion.

agree with the bold.

for whites, “creamy” is indicative of a soft(er), round(er) mouthfeel i usually associate with particular varieties (Chard, Viognier) and full ML.

for reds, “creamy” makes me think of a low-tannin, low-acidic wine, usually found mid-palate.

just .02

Yes!

champagne.gif

Perfect.

What’s interesting was when I asked the question I only had Champagne in mind, but didn’t explicitly state that. I’d never thought of it in terms of red/white wines.

Thanks all for the great feedback!

it refers to texture

What does “Mineral” taste mean?

mouthfeel is a real key to champagne enjoyment for me. Certain sparklers (and beers) have a jagged mouthfeel that causes almost a reflexive mouth tightening for me. “Creamy” champagnes would be the opposite end of the spectrum.

For me, the taste = the smell of the first few raindrops after a long dry spell.

For me mineral is more of an aroma or sensation than an actual taste but some wine will exhibit what comes off as limestone or oyster shell or wet river rocks, iron or remind you of such. You’ll know it when you sense it. Not everyone does as we all have different things that set our tastebuds and/or aroma detectors off.

Went to total wine with the gf tonight…was just looking around and then of course after we were talking about how people are using word “mineral”. The staff there spoke to us telling us Mineral/Earthy. I feel as if there are too many “wine words”. Almost makes me wanna roll my eyes and say “WTF”.

Similar with Moscato d’Asti, which with the residual sugar makes for a noticeably creamy texture

A lot of times, wines that are more “mineral” are created by winemakers who grow vines on limestone or granite, and produce wines that really show their terroir. At least, in my experience.

David
When explored on wine fora, it becomes clear that people can mean different things by the term ‘mineral’. Perhaps the most common drivers for using the term are: A taste or smell of ‘wet rock’ (technically we’re smelling fungus on the rock!); more austere (less fruity, more savoury) or a more saline profile.

In general, because of these different meanings I try to avoid the term, but it can be useful shorthand.

regards
Ian

Many German rieslings, particularly spatlese from Mosel from what I’ve noticed, have a secondary mineral aroma. When they’re young, they also have a mouthfeel that seems like the crispness of mineral water, probably from the acidity. Could ‘mineral’ mean both?

When I review wines I try to stay away from the “creamy” word because of the possible confusion. I use “mouth feel” instead.