Best place for auctions?

I have been buying and selling on winecommune for years. Just went on, and there was little inventory. Winebid gouges you. Are there new sites to buy/sell of which I’m unaware?

Thanks.

Try Spectrum (CA) or Brentwood (OR) for single bottle offerings, Hart Davis Hart (IL) or Zachy’s (NY) for larger lot offerings.

For small lots, K&L has been great. 15% sellers commission for cash, or just a $5/lot listing fee for store credit. I think the store credit deal is great if you plan to buy more wine (from K&L) with the proceeds. I am local so I just drop off my auction wines at the Hollywood store and there are no shipping fees involved even though the auction processing is done in the Bay Area location. Send an email to mollyzucker@klwines.com with what you want to sell and she will take care of it.

1 Like

K&L to buy. HDH to sell.

Thanks for a few new sites I didn’t know about. I’ve admittedly used winebid a few times as folks list some of the harder to find Jura goods on there but indeed I have to think hard about the bidding because of the added fees.

Haven’t yet picked up anything from K&L but I watch it more these days given the quality and quantity of offerings on a regular basis. Makes the idea of purchasing some older vintages for drinking now a lot more affordable! I do regret missing out on a 73 Stags Leap Cab that was on there a few months back though… went for a pretty low price and would have been a nice piece of California history to have.

Apparently JJ Buckley/Winecommune does not do consignment any more and only buys outright. The ABC will only allow them to resell reds older than 10 years and whites older than 5 years.

Eric B - who is HBH?

I believe Eric B is refering to Hart, Davis, Hart; an auction company based in Chicago. They also have a retail section. I’ve dealt with them frequently, excellent service.

Yeah ever since JJB bought commune its a mess. Not to mention if in California you must possess a license to post. Absolute crap IMO.

Spectrum and Brentwood have been great

Thanks for sharing

HDH is all around great. 19% premium on buyers pricing. They take 1% off on the next auction when you pay in full in a week. Their shipping service is also great. I have found some good deals with Zachy’s as well. You can find some good deals at Acker in their mixed lots and older vintages but their reputation has never fully recovered. Their buyers premium is also 23.5%

I don’t use Spectrum, since this:

I throw requests for quote / appraisal out to each of the following entities when the sell bug bites: Benchmark, Epic Cellars, JJ Buckley, TCWC, Brentwood, Spectrum, HDH, Morrell Wine Auctions, TK Wine, Belmont, Cellarraiders, Heritage, and Sell Cellar.