Anyone ever attended the Savor Dallas Grand or Reserve tasting?

I’ve gotten into wine seriously this year and always thought paying $125-$150 to taste some wines was excessive but I looked at the Savor Dallas event calendar for this year and am thinking that $$ may be well spent tuition but wanted to hear from any Dallas are Berserkers if it’s worthwhile and which of those 2 events is the best. The Grand tasting sounds more fun as it’s longer, has live music, etc however it sounded like the Reserve tasting might have the top shelf stuff. I thought I saw a pic of a first growth from an online pic taken at the 2013 event.

Great question. I’d love to hear more about this event as well. I was looking into the Wine Spectator “Grand Tour” event as well. http://grandtour.winespectator.com/

Went this year to the Reserve and enjoyed the event. While there were around 300 bottles to taste, we only got to about 30. It was a Bordeaux heavy lineup and the premiums were the first to go. We got there early and made quick rounds to the premiums and were able to taste all of our target wines. Within an hour, however, the premiums were out and the also rans (which were still in the $40-70 wholesale pricepoint) were all that were left.

We will go again next year. The end of the night was a surprise: after wrapping the reserve, we also gained entrance to the Grand Tasting. From a food perspective, this was great because the Grand Tasting emphasizes for food selection vs. wine.

We recommend the event.

I attended as well and will not go back. The top wines were supplied, in some cases, with only a handful of bottles. Those labels ran out in 20 minutes. The event was also very crowded, with almost no seating. Downstairs lines were often a dozen deep for food or wine. As a result, there was also little opportunity to discuss much about the wines with any of the presenters.

For $150, I don’t want to feel like cattle. Perhaps it is personal preference, but I’d be happy with a lot less labels, in a more comfortable setting.