Ever see crystals on a cork?

Hi folks,

I recently had a cork that had crystals on it? Is this safe to drink the wine?
image.jpg

Tartrate crystals…That’s a pretty extreme example, but sure, I’ve drank tons of bottles w corks like that. The crystals also end up in the bottom of a wine glass. If I go out of my way to crunch them, they taste (very) mildly sulfuric to me. Like how a high school chem lab smells.

Nothing to worry about.

As Chris said, extremely common, but WOW, that example is like tartrate stalagmites!

Thanks guys!

On sauternes. Never seen that extent on a red wine.

It does seem like sugar is some sort of a catalyst. The classic is a bottle of Pedro Ximenez. Those suckers really have a lot of tartrate crystals.

From what I’m reading it was known by the ancients as Tartar (Wine Tartar for dinner anyone ?) LOL!

That’s a good example, usually much finer, but certainly nothing to avoid.

Seen it plenty of times on aged Riesling. Both on the cork and on the bottom (the down side) of the bottle.

My theory is that the higher the residual sugar, the more likely this is to happen.

willtell - just opened a bottle of Caymus 2001 Special Selection and it also had crystals on the cork. Not as many as shown in your picture, but close.

Please share, would love to see.

The next bottle of Caymus SS I open, I’ll remember to shoot a picture of the cork. In the mean time, here’s the crystals on the cork of a 2001 Arrowood Monte Rosso Cab:

That’s awesome, thanks for sharing the pic!

I’ve also seen it a few times, mostly in the glass on white wines I may have had in the food fridge. I think the cooler temps help to precipitate the crystals out of solution.

Interesting read. Wins stored below 45degree can show signs.

http://www.jordanwinery.com/files/FlexibleFile/289/Wine_Tartrates_FAQ.pdf

I didn’t forget about this - here’s the freshly pulled cork on a bottle of '01 Caymus Special Selection:

Looks like every bottle of 2007 Sandhill (former Red Mountain winery) red blend I’ve ever opened

This happens a lot with Cain as well.