My Way to Clean Up Spilt Wine

So here’s my way. And a bit of my strange sense of humour. You will excuse me, friends, but I’m a good guy all around I think. Just a bit eccentric and an Aspie.

What’s your secret?

White wine cleans red wine…sparkling white does even better.

Red wine cleans white wine? Or does champagne clean up blood? I’m trying to figure up how to get this blood of my carpet. I think they’ll be coming with a warrant soon so be quick with your answer man. [stirthepothal.gif]

Is this how you truly feel:

So I need to get this journey started even if this becomes more or a rant or a quick peace. Because of my income problem, wine is sort of an off and on pleasure for me. Hopefully that will change soon enough. I think I will write about my basic philosophy on wine. I do plan on getting the YouTube page under way in the next week or two but for now the first post! I’d ask you to follow the blog and share with your friends. I learn from others and get encouragement form your support. But now on to the show.

To me wine should not be a corporate enterprise but a human enterprise. A local winemaker cannot exist on his own in the modern world I do not think, but through cooperatives and other such means he can. The reason corporate ownership is such a problem for me is it is about quantity over quality. That’s how corporations work. And because they are so large, they cannot have the personal relationship with the wine that an independent maker can. Thus the wine may be good, sometimes even great, but it is because of rulebooks rather than the insight of a local maker. I suppose my real problem with corporations is broader, because I think they are opposed to what a proper Platonic society should be—there is a correlation, no, an adultery to be polemic, between corporatism and statism. This is why our republic in America has become more of an oligarchy than a true democracy; or as America is properly meant to be, a republic. And Aristotle says, a republic corrupts into an oligarchy when it goes bad. But I am reaching out into an area not really proper to this blog.

But I will, on that note, draw back to why wine should be local, not corporate. Because just like in every industry, form bookstores (think “You’ve Got Mail) to food, it removes the drinker from his proper relation with the maker. Granted a guy like me here in Kentucky is not going to know Vito Corelone or whatever his name may be in Italy or France, but when one buys from a conservative winemaker there is a relation that you do not get with the mass-marketed brand like Yellow Tail. For example, here in America there is a wine that sells for about $10.00 called Ravenswood which follows the conservative school of winemaking. You can read about that here on their website.

Knowing that I feel like I have a personal relationship with the guy—like he is making the wine for me personally, not everyone that will buy it. Or a favourite Oregon wine, King Estate, which was a bargain $16.00 or so when I bought it the first time a few years back and is now $26.00—and thus a treat on my budget. The wine is high quality and personal, not corporate like say Sutter Home or the God awful Franzia. It’s about quality, not quantity.

And that is why I do not care for corporate economics. There are more deep personal convictions but I will leave that for elsewhere. I will say that if we are to ban poets from Plato’s Republic though, that we should also ban profit hungry winemakers, who I believe would piss out wine, if it made them money. But wine is not milk, so I don’t want my wine coming out of any uterus like instrument. However I think the Philosopher King can dispense the law against pissed wine for college students because that stuff in a box is always good when you’re young and poor. Otherwise, the Franzias are exiled from the Republic. God save our drunken king!