California Boutique Suggestions

newhere As you can see, this is my first post so if I missed this topic or didn’t search properly let me know. Looking for suggestions on California boutique wineries, open to all varietals, that are awesome and inexpensive. Thanks in advance for the responses.

Just poke around with the search function and you will find plenty of choices. Do you like Zinfandel? Try Bedrock. Chardonnay? Try Liquid Farm. Pinot? Try Anthill or Sandler or Kendric.

But why stop with California? Like Italian? Try Produttori del Barbaresco. Loire? Try Chidaine. Beaujolais? Try Baudry. Muscadet? Try Pepiere. The list goes on and on and on.

Daniel,

Thanks for the input, I’ll keep looking. We love California wines but definitely open to others around the world. Can’t wait to broaden my palate and experience some great wine!

Your question is really too broad. There are many different regions in CA as well as well as different styles etc. to really point you to someone we need more to work from. What have you liked that you have tried? Still won’t stop me from recommending Hobo. Great stuff at reasonable prices.

Brian,

Sorry for the vagueness. Huge fans of Napa/Sonoma and also like Paso. Love Carol Shelton zins, EVERYTHING from Alpha Omega, also really liked Chateau St Jean before they were bought out. We tend to gravitate towards Cabs or a Meritage. Just looking to find little hidden gems. There are so many great wineries and wines. I hope this helps.

For cabs/meritage check out Dutch Henry in Napa. Prices have climbed some since when I first visited in 2002 but great wines and under the radar of many. Also its a great visit. For zins, you rally want to find Hobo and Bedrock as already mentioned.

For value cab (not sure of winery size) look for the 2012 priest ranch when it’s released. I tasted it this spring and it held its own against wines priced 2-3 times what it sells for.

Others here know Paso better than i do so hopefully you will get more responses. I don’t think I stopped at anything I would consider inexpensive when there back in 2011.

If you like Paso, give Santa Barbara a try. Jaffurs and Ojai.

Thanks for all the input. I’m excited to learn and try all of these.

Don if you want to come and taste at Alpha Omega let me know and we will make it happen. Email me at jean@aowinery.com

Thanks Jean. We stop by everytime we come out, ever since you were in the old metal barn.

Don - the list could be pages and pages long. If you can narrow it down, we can give you all KINDS of recommendations, but it’s far too broad right now. What type of experiences are you looking for? Super fancy, beautiful tasting rooms? Intimate tasting with the winemaker in a barrel room on metal folding chairs? Something in between? Vineyard tours? I’ve got a list a mile long that I’d love to share, but it’s really needing a little more focus.

Let us help you!!

Sorry about that Todd. My original thought process when I posted, is that I’m looking for the hidden gems. I’m not interested in the places charging for the name, I want to try something new that I may not have ever heard of, or had here in OH, and it can’t be crazy expensive since I still have to put two kids through college. Not sure when we’ll make it out again, so I’ll probably order direct from the suggestions I can’t resist. Does that help?

My suggestions in Napa: Lagier Meredith, Keever, and Anderson’s Conn Valley. In Sonoma, if you head to Healdsburg area, on Zinfandel lane you can’t go wrong, stopping in for any number of small wineries that have the winemaker pouring for you (as long as it isn’t harvest)

Thanks, I’ll check those out.

Anywhere near Dayton? If so you should get to know Eric Jerardi. His store is more European focused but he is always bringing in interesting things at good prices.

For cab/merlot/meritage forgot to mention Calluna out of Sonoma earlier. And not sure how it hasn’t been mentioned yet but if you want small hidden gems than talk to Merrill at EMH.

Actually, I live on the south side of Dayton. I’ve seen all of Eric’s video’s but never seem to make it up to his shop. What is EMH?

https://www.emhvineyards.com/home.html