Favorite Backfill Source?

Wondering what your favorite source for obtaining older vintages is. I’ve really enjoyed perusing the Flickinger and K&L websites, though the former is pretty lean on older stuff. Vinfolio appears to have a good selection of older wine, though its website seems a bit more awkward to navigate and I’m a bit apprehensive about buying from the “Collectors.”

I rarely backfill, but when I do, I look at auctions. I’ve been hugely unsuccessful at auction lately, though, trying to pick up ‘deals’ where I can. If I really wanted to backfill something, I’d definitely go K&L, as you do.

Get on their email blast and contact them with things you are looking for.

J

Be careful. Auctions have issues too. No matter what they say, you don’t really know the provenance no matter where you buy from. Most stores wont really guarantee older wines. The ones you cite are good. Chicago Wines is good too. Zachys is pretty good.

Chicago Wines = The Chicago Wine Company?

HDH is also good.

I’ve had really good luck with getting older vintages at Benchmark, Winebid and Belmont.

I’ve had some issues with Benchmark, particularly when you buy a corked bottle - they don’t credit in any way.

Bought a few older odd bottles of riesling from K&L, and Hart Davis Hart gets the occasional consignment that’s worth checking out.

Agree with K&L too. Just picked up a near case of 9-10 year old Syrahs that are at peak right now.

That hasn’t been my experience. Probably is time sensitive though. If they have already paid the consignor you are probably out of luck.

The Chicago ones are very good for old claret (HDH, TCWC). The NYers (Zachy, Morrell, Acker) sometimes have good stuff but tend to be a little thin on mature vintages unless you’re on private lists. In CA, I like Belmont, Benchmark (the sole 1959 I bought from them was way over the hill though), and K&L. I trust JJ Buckley but they rarely have old stuff.

I buy old stuff 75% at auction / 25% retail; if you categorically stay away from sunken or pushed corks and buy age-appropriate fills your miss rate will be pretty low. Plus, no retailer is ever going to give you money back for a corked wine (that’s your risk) though they absolutely should for a cooked wine (and you should make a huge stink because either it means that they’re keeping the wines poorly or they’re not being responsible in sourcing their wines & vetting storage conditions on the private cellars they buy).

I no longer do business with Grand Vin Wine Merchants (they sent me a Cheval Blanc with an unadvertised sunken cork and they said they were surprised I wanted to send it back… LOL). They were also dicks about their error. I also no longer do business with Vinfolio after I got a couple shipments where a bunch of the corks were sunken, bottles were totally dead - all unadvertised.

I am extremely lucky to live close to K&L and they are my go to source. This being said, I just attended the K&L’s Fete du Bordeaux and fell in love with Château La Conseillante. I supposed it helped that Marielle the wine maker, sat at our table so we learned a lot and had a great time talking with her. Anyway, since K&L did not have all the vintages I was after, I found European Wine Resource and after hearing good things about them from the CT board (I am new to collecting), I place an order which I just cellared today.

Let me state the packing was impeccable and each bottle was pristine and wrapped in a plastic bag and sealed with a rubber band, it was really well done.

The pricing was also more competitive than K&L as well. Don’t get me wrong I will usually default to K&L, since I can drive by and pick them up, but I thing European Wine Resource deserves a look.

K&L is fantastic, especially for west coast collectors. Plan to look into EWR, Thanks.

Jeremy, you must be having your wine shipped to Las Cruces or a UPS in Sunland Park or other nearby NM city. K & L tells me they won’t ship to Texas. I used to buy a lot from them but they shut me down. I do buy from the auction houses but have to use my own FedEx account because they will not ship here either. If you have some mojo that will get bottles shipped to you in El Paso, please share it.

Chambers Street Wines in New York gets a lot of older stuff from Europe

Don’t underestimate Winesearcher Pro for helping you locate some wines. The email alert feature hasn’t been a good source for me though.

Plenty of retailers will give your money back for a corked wine, even if they can’t get a credit from their suppler. It’s been corked since it left the winery. With cooked wine, the longer it has been in your possession, the less likely you can get a credit, as the retailer can claim it could be from poor storage on your part after the sale.

I’ve bought several older vintage bordeaux and napa cabs from rlliquidassets.com

Just bought a 2005 bordeaux (not really old) from K&L warehouse in NorCal and they are transferring it for free to the Hollywood location here in LA. Zero dollars for shipping is awesome.