Black Forest Distillers Monkey 47 Schwarzwald Dry Gin

Lots of buzz on this gin. Anyone tried it yet?

Great stuff. I drink little, if any gin, so take that for what it’s worth. The nose on it is so over-the-top that I thought I was opening a bottle of after-shave. I’ve tried straight, in a martini and with tonic and you’d be surprised - I liked the gin and tonic (Fever Tree, 1 gin : 2 tonic) the best. While that probably ranks up there with a Pappy Manhattan, it just mixes really, really well.

Sourcing - I got the bottle via a colleague that was visiting from Munich. Came in a .5L bottle (vs. .75) and I believe he said it cost him ~30E. They’ve got a 1L bottle as well that he said was available on the Amazon Germany site. Apparently, I’m a good enough friend for him to schlep a .5, but not the full 1L [cheers.gif]

Thanks, Andrew. Being a G & T fan (and a Fever Tree fan), with some warm weather finally here in Wisconsin I’m looking for some new Gins to throw in the mix. Sounds really interesting. From what I’ve read, the Monkey 47 contains 47 different botanicals. Hoping to find some here or in Chicago this spring to take for a test drive next to Uncle Vals and other Gin favorites.

it is nothing short of exceptional and by far the best Gin I have ever tasted :slight_smile:

Wine Searcher is not just for wine

http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/monkey+47/1/usa?Xlist_format=&Xbottle_size=all&Xprice_set=CUR&Xprice_min=&Xprice_max=&Xshow_favourite=

I scored a couple bottles of the Monkey 47 and got a chance to test drive it with three different tonics (Fever Tree, Q Tonic and Fentimans). The Monkey 47 clashed a little with the Fever Tree (the combo was a bit too sweet and perfumey). It worked better with the drier more mineral style of the Q Tonic but the complexity of this very fine gin seemed to get lost a little in the mix. The Monkey 47 and the Fentimans were an excellent match with a nice spritz of fresh-squeezed lime juice. Certainly one of the best if not the best Gin & Tonics I’ve had in years. The Monkey 47, however, isn’t cheap ($45 for a half bottle). If you are interested in the back story (a clever bit of marketing I might add), check out http://www.ginfoundry.com/gin/monkey-47-gin/

Finally got a chance to try this. I’m in Heilbronn (south Germany in Baden Württemberg) for business, and I found it in three stores. Prices vary wildly - 34€ to 49€ for the . 5l bottle.
Anyway, I had it cold and neat. Very fragrant; killer nose. Quite deelish indeed, with a sweetness in the nose and on the palate.

I love this gin… Theres something so fresh and clean about it that make it very hard to stop drinking it… Especially with fever tree

Interesting note - I saw this on the shelf at Total Wine in Bellevue, WA. $57/500ml was a bit steep for me, but… it’s here in the states now.

Didn’t know the 500ml bottles were available in the US–I schlepped one from the UK and quickly went through it, and have recently replaced it with the “tiny” 375s.

Personally, I think it works great with Fever-Tree. And I actually think the Mediterranean might be my favorite, with the “regular” and the ElderFlower versions tied for second, although one can’t go wrong with any of them.

Looks like they were 375s, based on the TW site. Sheesh. Great gin, but $58 for a 375?

Have a couple of 375’s. Waiting for a friend to recover from a cold, but excited to try this.

It isn’t cheap, that’s for sure :slight_smile: I think my bottle from London was around $80 at the exchange rate :slight_smile:

Home fun last night at a bar in Sydney (The Barber Shop). Drank wayyyy too much gin, but saw the Distiller’s Cut on the menu at a reasonable price ($28 UAD, ~$20 US) so had some. Bartender was cool enough to let us try the two side-by-side, then with a couple of different tonic waters. Destroyed the credit card, which is probably why he was so nice :smiley:
WP_20160510_16_56_03_Rich.jpg

Wow, at 3x the price for “Distiller’s Cut”, that’s some pricey Gin!

Love Monkey 47 for a G & T. Like it best with Fever Tree.

I like it.

Another vote in favor!