Heady Topper blind tasting in Napa Valley

Not sure if I should be posting this here or under the “Offline Planner.” Oh well.

I am looking to put together a group of 4 (3+myself) to do a blind tasting of Heady Topper and a few other like beers. I have the beers already. Yes, even the Heady.
It would be nice to share a taste with some craft brew geeks that have never had Heady before.
I am located up on Howell Mtn. I am thinking possibly this Sunday, but am flexible.

Thank you!
Cheers!
Eric
Heady.gif

Generous offer! I’d be all over this if I lived in your area.

You might want to change the title of the thread — something to indicate it hasn’t happened yet, perhaps?

I live in Napa. [wow.gif] flirtysmile

Go Linda, Heady is a lot of fun !

Cheers,

Bud

Oh! Oh! I will be in calistoga…but not until Monday and leave the following Saturday. :frowning:

Will Segui, where are you?

Well Tom, et al, maybe we can work something out later this week before you return to Seattle. I know that I’m cranking at the winery the next few days, but perhaps Thursday or Friday. Doesn’t have to be a long drawn out tasting either. It will just be fun to share Heady with some west coast folks that haven’t had it…and to see how it “ranks” in a blind tasting.

What am I, a camel? I get thirsty too.

No. A fish. :slight_smile:

Sorry all, that I couldn’t make this happen this week. Busy busy week.
I wish that I had just set tonight as the night, because I am more than ready for such a tasting RIGHT NOW!

Drink that stuff as fresh as possible Eric as the unique hop bill that is the HT signature, both flavor and nose wise, does fade rather quickly.

Cheers,

Bud

Thanks Bud!
Yes, I am well aware of this. Having lived in Vemront, I have had this many times. And a fair amount of times since moving here. These cans are 3 weeks old. Looking to finish them up this week.

Cheers!

Wish I could help !!! champagne.gif

Cheers,

Bud

Did this blind tasting happen? What did you pin Heady Topper against? Would love to hear the results.

pliny vs heady of course!

i would have flown in for this one.

Unfortunately, it didn’t go down as planned.
Am looking forward to the next opportunity to do it. Yes, Pliny will be in the mix. So will Enjoy By if I can make it happen before July 4. Also some other “usual suspects” like Sculpin.
There’s a chance I might get more Heady in June. If not, then I will pick some up in July when I head to New England.

On a somewhat different note, I DID do a blind tasting of 7 session IPAs on Monday night. (Well, 6 plus a hoppy pils by FW.)
About 4 cold ounces were poured into Riedel “Chardonnay” glasses. Tasted over about 40 minutes. Then we repoured. Beers were tasted all the way up to room temp.
Included were:
Black Diamond Moesaic, Lagunitas Day Time, Drake’s Alpha Session, FW Easy Jack, Stone Go To, and Founders All Day IPA.

Interesting results for us. When Go To came out, we both didn’t care for it. Her fav HAS been Founders. My fav has been Day Time.
Results: (from #1 down to 7)
1 - Go To!
2/3 tie - Day Time and Easy Jack
4 - Alpha Session (#5 for her)
5 - Founders All Day (Was #4 for her)
6 - PIVO hoppy Pils
7 - Black Diamond Moesaic (Was a EASY last for both of us. Too malty/caramel.)

After a quick taste through, it was easy to pick which beers would make the top 3!
There was a gap between the top 3 and #4. Although, I would try the Alpha Session again on it’s own.
I tried the Founders (can) once before in NYC back in March. It didn’t excite me. No difference this time (bottle.)

FUN tasting! Looking forward to doing it again as more breweries are coming out with session IPAs.
Next tasting will be Saisons!

Cheers!

Eric