Powdered Alcohol approved for sale....

This can not be a good idea: Powdered Alcohol, Coming to a Liquor Store Near You

Italicized bits are from the product website:

Palcohol also makes for an easy way to get hammered over breakfast without anyone noticing: just sprinkle it right onto your pancakes, and voilà.

6. We’ve been talking about drinks so far. But we have found adding Palcohol to food is so much fun. Sprinkle Palcohol on almost any dish and give it an extra kick. Some of our favorites are the Kamikaze in guacamole, Rum on a BBQ sandwich, Cosmo on a salad and Vodka on eggs in the morning to start your day off right. Experiment. Palcohol is great on so many foods. Remember, you have to add Palcohol AFTER a dish is cooked as the alcohol will burn off if you cook with it…and that defeats the whole purpose.

Those who’d rather mainline booze directly into their bloodstream are also in luck. Palcohol can be snorted!

7. Let’s talk about the elephant in the room….snorting Palcohol. Yes, you can snort it. And you’ll get drunk almost instantly because the alcohol will be absorbed so quickly in your nose. Good idea? No. It will mess you up. Use Palcohol responsibly.

bad, bad, bad idea.

hard to believe the TTB signed off on this.

Can someone with a handle on the chemistry explain what exactly this IS? Does alcohol crystalize under the right conditions?

Crazy. If you click through the source link at the bottom of the Gawker page, the author makes a good point - who in their right mind would underwrite the liability policy? I doubt this will ever materialize. Crazier things have happened though…

20yr old me would have died from this product.

TTB rescinded the approval today. Manufacturer says not a “product problem” but a “labeling issue we will resolve”. Saw on multiple TV news outlets this AM.

Seems General Foods had this idea 42 years ago:

As an avid backpacker who is constantly looking for ways to lighten my pack I am really looking forward to this. Can’t see myself using it otherwise though.

No crystals. It’ an encapsulated product.

If desired, people can already nebulize vodka and get where they wanna go if it’s such a big hurry.

As I understand it, not exactly encapsulated, but absorbed into cyclodextrines. The technology has long been used for delivering medications. The product is reported to be only 30-35% heavier than pure alcohol, but much bulkier. Despite some fears, or hopes, it would not be practical to snort.
By itself it has no flavor, so the only benefit over everclear is that it could go in a lighter container, and would not be easily identifiable as alcohol.

P Hickner