Recipes for a reluctant cocktail party - cry for help

We are hosting the second and final leg of a neighbourhood progressive cocktail party that starts at one house and ends at mine. Even worse the committee has already decided that we will be “matching” cheese and desserts with our cocktail offering.

Help me please. I need 2 or 3 recipes to make jug’s of cocktail for the merry crew who will be primed by the first leg cocktail party.

ps - I will be hiding in a corner with a white burg of course.

White Brugundy doesn’t go with any dessert I know of, but Scotch goes surprisingly well with dark chocolate.

P Hickner

I highly recommend Mary Rockett’s milk punch, which takes some work but is very easy to batch ahead of time. Here’s a similar recipe to one I’ve used in the past:

Since it’s going with dessert, I would recommend a dessert-inspired bitters on top. I’ve successfully used Bittermens Chocolate Mole bitters as well as my own coffee-pecan bitters. Both were quite tasty. Went over quite well with a crowd that really knew their cocktails, including many that don’t really love dessertish drinks.

Thanks jason. I will try a micro batch first.

Roberto - I will console myself with some dude bourgogne. Very funny.

I will get a couple of good ones from my cocktail experts John Liotta and Matt Richardson.

If you try it, hope it works out!

Two quick notes I forgot before… The straining process is, admittedly, a huge PITA and requires some patience, but you definitely want to make sure you get it completely clear. Also, I’ve heard that the results tend to be best if you can get your hands on raw (unpasteurized) milk at a farmer’s market. Otherwise just make sure the milk is whole. Let me know if you have any questions along the way!

Punch is definitely the way to go. We made this punch at NYE and it was a huge hit. I also think that making a pitcher of Manhattans is easy and a crowd pleaser:

If it ends at yours, you don’t have to worry about it much!

Why not do a palate cleansing type of drink, such as Negroni?

I make up a batch of “Tennis Elbow”. This will make about 8 -12 drinks, served in a high ball glass.
4 cups pineapple juice
3 cups apricot nectar
2 cups grapefruit juice
1 1/3 cup gin

I mix this up in a pitcher and refrigerate overnight, or at least a few hours. Then you serve over ice with a splash of tonic water (I use Q brand!). The original recipe calls for a cup of tonic water added to the main recipe but I found we like to leave the tonic water out so the drink stays “fresh”.
I also like to have some basil leaves on hand and kind of crush the leaf a bit before putting it in the glass to help release the basil flavor. We also have a cup of pineapple spears on hand to offer as well. This goes great with most desserts (not chocolate based as much) like cheesecakes or pie/tarts, specialty cupcakes, etc. This seems like a sweet drink on paper, but the gin and tonic cut the sweetness just so.

Edit If you are making this a day ahead to meld juice flavors overnight, leave the gin(Hendricks :smiley:)
out as well until just before serving.

Moved to Beer & Spirits

Here you go!

Don’t make fun of Garden and Gun. It is one of our best magazines. :slight_smile:
This one has a sherry base. Greg Best our fabulous cocktail genius at Restaurant Eugene/Holeman and Finch suggests this one.
http://gardenandgun.com/article/lighten-happier-hour

A port based cocktail. Best to use Ruby Port.

Autumnal Equinox recipe
2 oz port
1 oz Grand Marnier® orange liqueur
1/2 oz amaretto almond liqueur

Pour ingredients into an ice-filled old-fashioned glass. Stir, and serve.

26% (52 proof)
Serve in: Old-Fashioned Glass

Andrew Jackson’s Favorite Old Hickory Cocktail

+1 on the punch.

I love a Negroni as also mentioned, but some I have served them too find them a bit too boozy. Maybe it’s the way I make em’!

Our monthly copy arrived in the mail today. I showed it to hubby when I came in with the mail and he said, “Finally!”. We love G&G!

A super simple and rarely seen cocktail outside of Portugal is 1/2 tonic and 1/2 white port. It’s surprisingly good. Throw a lime twist in as well.

You can’t do it by the jug but maybe make a round of B52’s on arrival.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=cocktail+b52&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=B2IrU5juI6SziQfb-IC4Cw&sqi=2&ved=0CDIQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=934

Great suggestions - especially the wine based ones. Will report back !

Thank You.

+1 had this at a native’s party and it was wonderful

Maybe it’s because they are all booze? :stuck_out_tongue: :slight_smile: