3 Floyds Dark Lord Day

Is anyone planning on going? It’s on April 26th this year. Assuming I get through online sales on March 17th, my wife and I will be attending again. It’s a really fun day, would love to meet other WBs if the opportunity presents itself.

New change this year: tickets aren’t transferrable. Well, at least its more difficult. Purchaser can buy 2 tickets, but he/she must accompany their guest and present ID. Great change to hopefully kill off the scalper side of the day.

It’s a good change and will hopefully reduce the counterfeit tix also. Probably the Huna Day Cluster had a part in their decision to link the tix to an ID. Have fun!

i am going to try attending. while not a fan of dark lord, i’d love the chance to share in the fun.

That’s my son’s birthday, so it’s not in the cards this year. I’ll make it there someday, though.

I’ll be in Turkey, but I’ll take someone’s extra bottles! neener

Have fun.

The first time we went, we were mainly just interested in picking up DL…but we’ve really grown to love the event and not care so much about the DL. Great (other) beers, fantastic food and a really cool scene of craft beer enthusiasts.

They did this last year and it worked out well. The lines for the later groups to get the DL bottles still need some work, but at least they solved the scalping problem. I had a backpack of beers to share so it made the line more fun. And when I felt like cleansing my palate, I’d just go get a Zombie Dust and come get back in line. I was also a fan of how much more spread out the event was last year. They really stepped up.

We went last year and had an extra pair of tickets that we were able to sell at a little above cost. Bummed that I’ll be out of town this year as it was tons of fun last year.

I got tickets to go this year after being completely shut out last year. Curious as what to expect as I’ve never been before.

I wanted to go this year but its not in the cards. Dark Lord (and all the variations) is still one of the few beers from them I have not tasted. I am gonna try next year.

drunk people. everywhere!!! Seriously, it’s really a good time. There are lots of taps spread out all over the event and now you can get Dark Lord on draft (as opposed to the old days when it was only in the brewpub that had an 8 hour line to get in). Several guest taps are offered as well. The 2-3 hour long lines to get your bottles can be a pain in the ass, but be sure to take some beers to share and it makes it more fun. There are usually bottle shares the night before and the morning of the event. I usually showed up later in the afternoon so I missed most of that. By the time I arrived, there were thousands of empty bottles along the roadside where people were “tailgating.”

Oh, and if you like head banging thrash metal, this is the event for you!!! And if you don’t, it’s fun watching those that do. The stage is set up in the lot across the street from the brewery while the brewery is used for bottle sales. Speaking of bottle sales, they usually have all the regular bottles for sale by the case and some rarer bottles they’ve held back. Two years ago I got some Baller Stout and last year I passed on the special bottles because I didn’t have enough room in my luggage for more beer after being in Chicago for a week.

As with all events, there may be a bad element or two so watch your beers after you get them, or take them out to your car. That goes for any event though and I found most of the crowd to be very enjoyable.

Brad, thanks for the info!! Luckily I live within driving distance of the brewery so my only limitation on what I can buy will be based upon how much cash I have and space in the car.

And did I read that right with 2-3hours in line once your group is called to get beer?? Egads.
I assume that if you are with someone you can switch off who is in line so the other person can wander and get beer/food etc without too much of a hassle? Glad that it’s on tap too!! Will have to find a suitable(and not breakable!) glass to bring and plenty of beer to share.

That’s correct. 2-3 hours in line for the later groups D & E. I hope they figure that part out for this year’s attendees. I don’t think groups A,B, and C were that long. We freely hopped in and out to get beer, use the restroom, go check out the concerts, etc. There was food available and even coffee from Intelligestia, which I love.

Btw…ISO: DL and variants. :slight_smile:. If anyone is inclined to share or trade, for beer or wine.

I’ve been lucky and never had to wait 2-3 hours in line…or maybe it just felt like it was quicker! Christine, if you live close, beg a favor from a friend to drop you off/pick you up. You don’t want to drive. If you can’t find someone, splurge for a cab…totally worth it to not have to fight the horrible logistics around FFF, if not for the sober driving part. I have my in-laws drop us off like we’re 15 yr olds going on a movie date!

As for drunks, they’re there…but generally speaking, it’s a well behaved crowd. You’ll see everything from metal heads covered head to toe in tattoos to city hipsters to grandma and grandpa. You’ll see how crowded it is and wonder why you’re going through the fence, but once inside you realize its a few thousand people all just trying to have a good time. Even waiting in line for DL is fun, bring a couple non-FFF beers for pour sharing in line with others, you’ll make friends fast.

A friend was able to score tickets to the 6:30 group. It allows us to go down later, and if anyone want’s some bbq and is part of either the 4:30 or 6:30 groups, shoot me a PM and I’ll gladly bring some rib tips.

I love a huge stout as much as the next but recently tried the 2012 DL and thought it WAY too sweet. Couldn’t drink more than a few ounces and poured out half the bottle after sharing with friends. Count me as not a fan though their Klaus Plum version was killer good.

alrighty, it’s this saturday. Who’s going and what groups are people in?

Not going but I’ll be at RRB on Sunday!

My wife and I will be there. Group E - but will probably head over mid afternoon.