1st world problems - Craft beer edition

Poorly organized Huhnapu Day at Cigar City pisses off many hipster douches with too much time and money on their hands.

Embarrassing, for the customers.

I read how big a cluster that was. Feel bad for the out of town folks who spent their time and money for that circus.

Read about this fiasco, sounds like embarrassing behavior on both sides but the brewery really screwed up.

Some customers were obviously acting like assholes, cutting lines, fighting, possibly using fake tickets to gain entry, pushing others out of the way to try to get beer, etc.

The brewery apparently sold the rarest beer on offer (71 cases) with a one case limit to whoever happened to be in line when they decided to sell it. This brewery does have a reserve membership and those guys are obviously pissed. They also started selling the remaining beer by the case before everyone who purchased a ticket (and were promised three bottles) got a chance to make their purchase. Something bad happened with ticket sales, there were only suppose to be 3500 but way more than that showed up and they ended up giving out more than 3500 wrist bands for beer purchases. I guess they did not check ids to see if they matched tickets so there was a major flaw somewhere in their ticketing scheme.

Apparently the brewery is refunding everyone who bought a ticket, at $50 a pop that obviously tells you they had major problems.

These fiascos reinforce my decision to avoid of these type of releases, it is simply not worth it, stand in line for hours for the possibility of getting a few bottles of rare beer? I guess it gives huge hype and press to these breweries but eventually people are going to come to their senses, I hope?

I have about five friends that went to this and they all said it was a disaster from the beginning. The line getting in was over a half mile long and some people waited over two hours to get in. Everybody reported seeing people walk out with cases of the Hunaphu from early in the day. Lines were also enormous to get any of the other beers being offered. Thankfully, my friends got in early, but they left when things began getting bad. They enjoyed it overall, though, because the event went so poorly Cigar City offered all beers in the Tap Room on Sunday free-of-charge.

Since they got there early enough to get in quickly, they ended up with a free ticket to drink whatever they wanted, a few bottles of Hunahpu, and all-you-can drink for free again on Sunday.

Going forward, though, I believe the event has been cancelled.

It’s just going to get worse until they change how the beers get allocated. Can’t they do mailing lists like wineries? Imagine if SQN sold their wine on a first-come, first-served basis one day per year at their office. [wow.gif]

I must be getting older. The idea of waiting in a line longer than 20 people for a beer is quite unappealing.

They’ve decided to cancel the event going forward.