Under- and Overrated Cocktails

An interesting little list by some well-regarded bartenders:

What do people think? In general, they make some persuasive arguments, even if several of the cocktails are only overrated because better variations of them exist. For instance, the Manhattan… while delicious, I do prefer a Red Hook. I was surprised to see the Negroni listed as underrated. It seems to be the hipsters’ drink of choice these days, so even if a great drink I don’t think it’s underrated. But maybe that’s a West Coast bias.

Interesting. I don’t drink enough cocktails to really have a valid opinion on much, however. I do agree with you, Jason, that the Negroni seems to be very popular right now (or, at the very least, it is with my cocktail-preferring friends; I think it’s just o.k. (not a big fan of Campari)).

I think Negroni’s are popular everywhere right now. (Parson’s Chicken & Fish in Chicago is known for its Negroni slushy.) I dislike Vesper Martinis, but I don’t get the sense that they are especially popular. Just famous for the James Bond connection. I agree that Vieux Carré and Whiskey Sour are underrated.

I will throw this out there: I think Bloodys are underrated. And by that I mean, this: they’re made extremely poorly worldwide, so people have come to expect some schlocky tomato-y crap drink when they order one.

Properly done (which is not easy to do, imo), the Bloody Mary is a magnificent drink, imo. Anywhere Cafe in NYC does an incredible one (under the name “Romanoff Martini”) that is the best one I’ve ever had: they use three different infused vodkas (black pepper; horseradish; and one I cannot remember), and then float red pepper flakes on top. I could drink 'em 'till I can’t see no more. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yes, I was a bit conflicted about seeing the Bloody Mary listed as underrated. Sure they can just taste like paint varnish in V8, but they can also be amazing.

However, I would argue that the Bloody Mary is relatively overrated compared to the Bloody Caesar (here in the US… not in Canada!). I had my first Caesar maybe a year ago, and wow, it really nailed exactly what I want in a savory drink. Such depth of flavor, in a way that no Bloody Mary has ever quite captured for me.

I will admit: I have to look up what a Bloody Caesar is — never even heard of it. :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: o.k.; looked it up. Yuck (b/c I don’t like Clamato).

I’ve never had a Negroni, but I’m sick of hearing about it without having tried one, so it’s on my short list. I have some fantastic gin, and Antica Formula vermouth, so maybe just pick up some Campari and make my own. Recipes call for 1.5oz of each, however, which makes for a damn powerful drink - 4.5 oz!

Todd, you would love The Boulevardier. Just sub in Bourbon for Gin. Been enjoying these for years, either up or on the rocks. And use quality Bourbon! [highfive.gif]

Gee…if only I had any quality Bourbon…
[pwn.gif]

Campari is only 24% ABV (48 proof). Obviously, the key is the proportion, so you can always make a shorter drink. I prefer a bit more Campari, a little less vermouth. YMMV.

You must be a seasoned Negroni drinker, as the Campari is the bitter part of the mix, whereas the (sweet) Vermouth is obviously the sweet. I’m looking forward to trying one.

Campari is bitter but it’s not that bitter. There’s nothing to be scared of, the bitterness is actually quite nice. I’ve been drinking Negronis for over a decade. FWIW, I prefer a lime garnish to an orange. I also like Campari and soda with lime when I just want something light, especially before a meal.

Maybe make a small one with a 1:1:1 ratio and then adjust to taste.

I’m a 210lb fellow of Dutch and Irish descent who grew up in Wisconsin, with a mother who was PRESCRIBED 2 shots of Brandy every morning, afternoon, and evening for the 2nd and 3rd trimesters of her pregnancy with me (and she hated the taste, so she had a beer chaser after each…and she’s 5’2"). A ‘small one’ IS 4.5 oz for me! [snort.gif]

Especially great and refreshing after a long day of tasting wine. We drink these quite a bit. And then finishing the meal off with some Averna on the rocks.

And Boop! There it issssssss……

Another take on the Negroni (similar to the Boulevardier) is using Rye instead of bourbon and taking the ratio to 2 part rye 1 part Campari and 1 part sweet vermouth

I make Mezcal Negronis . . .

i call BS on the Daiquiri being “underrated.” i’ve spent more time than i care to remember bellied up to the rail, and i have yet to meet the bartender who didn’t mutter “awww, f*ck” under his or her breath every time they had to go make a drink in the blender.

Agree completely that the Gimlet is underrated. Made correctly (i.e. not using Roses Lime Syrup), it is awesome.

Interestingly, I’ve heard cocktail geeks argue that using Rose’s Lime Syrup is actually the ‘correct’ way to make a Gimlet. If you use fresh lime juice, you’re technically making a gin daquiri.

And, I guess by pointing this out, I’ve clearly placed myself into the cocktail geek category…