French Whiskies

Just wanted to know if anyone had some experiences with French whiskies.

Only Michel Couvreur. And only one bottling. Would be interested to try more.

Samples received yesterday: Guillon Whisky Banyuls cask finish (picture below) and the light Peated version. Waiting for the Puligny cask version to come in the next couple of days as well as Monsieur Balthazar and his Straigh Whisky Bourbonnais Hedgehog (Auvergne Central France). To follow G.Rozelieures and Michel Couvreur.
Guillon Banuyls.jpg

Two single casks whiskies from Jura region: A VIn de Paille and a Macvin.

Itinerant distillers at the origin offering their services in the Jura/Franche Comté regions, the Tissot family relies on a very unique distillation set up: they use three 1934 Blavier stills, originally designed and built to distil lavender for the perfume industry, that have been adapted and certified for the production of spirits. Pascal Tissot then ages his whiskies in Feuillette casks (114 litres). They bottle cask by cask.
4_DiplomeDiplome2014Spir.jpg
Tissot-Macvin.jpg
Tissot-Paille.jpg

We just picked up this, made in the Charentes and aged in Cognac casks. People are digging it:

I think the production is only reserved for the US market (only East Coast?)

Just arrived here in Cali…

Cognac is great but French whisky is not something that I look forward to try, though I heard Brenne is nice,a friend recommended me this page hope it helps you https://www.swisscubancigars.com/index.php/romeo-y-julieta.html

On what basis did you form that opinion?

I tasted Armorik, Meyer (Blend and Pure Malt), Couvreur (Pale Single Single, Special Vatting,…), Guillon (Peated, Banyuls Cask, Puligny Cask, Maury Cask), Tissot (Vin de Paille and Macvin single casks) and all have a different and distinctive taste profile. I would say that the ones produced in Bretagne (Brittany) are very similar to scotch whiskies. The others are definitely different, quite surpringly not what you would expect but still made out of the same material. These bring you to new horizons and I really enjoy them for that reason.

I am from Beaune. When I go for a Pinot from NZ, Chili or closer from where I live, the Okanagan region, I dont expect to get an exported version of Burgundy.

I’ll try whisky from anywhere, there is no reason for it to be bad (although christ almighty there is some bad product out there) but when I drink French spirit, I have a hard time getting out of Cognac.

How about Calvados, William?

oh yeah – those too. I just know even less about them, which is probably for the best. I need to start chasing another thing like I need a hole in the head.

Just received Michel Couvreur whiskies.

The Unique: blend of malted and unmalted cereals distilled partly in Pot still and partly in Coffey still. After 4 years in oak wood, it has been reduced to 44% with Scottish water. Matured in Scottland and Burgundy (France). No filtration. Opalescent tint. Slight iodine fragrances with a hint of Almond and vanilla roundness. Nervous and round.

Intravagan’za: single malt spirit distilled in Scottland and matured between 2 and 3 years in sherry cask. Limpid gold amber tint. Almonds and frangipane fragrance, grassy freshness with a sligh touch of honey and wood. 50%

Overaged Mald Whisky: vatting of single malts aged between 12 and 27 years. 43% abv. Beige amber tint. Fragrance of dried flowers, flaxen tobacco, sherry wine, fat almond, lightly smoked. Fruity, powerful and long finish.

Blossoming Auld Sherried: Single cask distilled in Scottland and aged in sherry oak barrels in Burgundy. Natural strength of 51% reduced to 45% abv. Dark amber robe with a reddish tinge. Fragrances of sherry, flowers, vanilla and dried fruit. Quite mellow.
Couvreur.jpg

Wow, those look great!

This page will be updated on a regular basis Facebook

I should receive in the next few days samples of G.Rozelieures and Lehman - both Lorraine region -, Meyers (Alsace), Hedgehog whisky bourbonnais (Central France).
Impatient to try them all!

I’ve tasted Bastille 1789 and it’s quite good - on the light and fruity side if my memory serves me right.

http://caskers.com/product/bastille/

Since 1890, the Grallet distillery has established itself as one of the leading fruit brandies producers in the North East Lorraine region. In 2007 Christophe Dupic convinced his father-in-law to use the production of their barley fields to batch the first Lorraine whisky. They currently have more whiskies that are slowly aging in Fino, Oloroso, Bourbon, Vosne Romanée and Banyuls casks.
Trio copy.jpg

Alsacian whiskies from Lehman distillery in Obernai.

Elsass Single Malt - seven years maturation in white Bordeaux cask - 40%abv - 70cl
Elsass-bdx.jpg

Elsass single Malt - eight years maturation in Sauternes cask - 50%abv - 50cl
Elsass-sauternes.jpg

No new whiskies but a bright new note book!
Bony.jpg