Pay it forward growler

So here’s my idea - we get a group of regulars and we ship a growler around among us. I currently have a sweet growler of a ridiculously well made beer. It’s a gold medal winning brewery who made a one off to celebrate their anniversary. It’s really good for the style. Who wants it? I will ship it out tomorrow. The person receiving it will do the same. Shits and giggles type stuff. Maybe get 20 folks in on the deal. We have each other’s address and the growler just arrives. Who is in?

What does it cost to ship a growler? And what size?

It’s a standard 64 oz. No idea the cost on shipping but I’m thinking ground can’t be much. And it’s a helles bock. One of the best I’ve ever had.

i’d be interested in participating. anyone have a styro shipper molded to a 64oz growler?

I will play around with some styrofoam today and see what I can create.

I’m intrigued by this.

I’m guessing that you’re looking around $10-15 to ship. I recently shipped 11 lbs of beer for $17. A 1/2 gallon of water = 4.2 lbs, 2 lbs for the growler and 2 lbs for packing = 8.2 lbs.

I love the idea of thinking about beer in pounds (instead of oz./ml./etc)!

Great idea - I’d like to participate.

I’ll take a turn after Bud gets it :slight_smile:

I brought my growler, a 4 btl wine box and some inserts to the office. It has been turned over to people far more competent in this area. So I have Ryan, Matt and Tom as interested parties. If you guys want to PM me your addresses, I will print them and put a copy in the box.

I’d be interested in joining the chain

Would this be filling one growler, and then refilling the same growler?
Here in California, the growler law was recently changed so that one brewery can refill a growler from another brewery, as long as they cover up the logo, etc., but some breweries (most notably Russian River), will only fill their own growlers. That might leave some of us out here out of the loop.

I think it will be easier for everyone if recipients just use whatever growler is on hand (or whatever local bottle they want to share - some of them are pretty cool).

I’m definitely interested. [cheers.gif]

James my info has been sent your way. [thankyou.gif]

So who do we send the shipping info to?

This is a great point Linda. There are still a majority of brewers in Ca. that will not fill others growlers.Those that are are a vast minority and require you to basically remove everything off that growler which is incredibly difficult.
Other than that you guys know I’m all over this as long we can figure a way for us Cali Cats to play.

Cheers,

Bud

send your info to James Dennis.

also doesn’t hurt that some of the CA brewers are now using new types of growlers. I think Societe in San Diego is now using these stainless steel ones. So it wouldn’t even fit in the box!

I’ve made a mess of 4 btl shipper. It works but probably wont make it another round. I’m going to bring in some more styrofoam shipping material tomorrow to see if I can craft something that will work better.

I swear this is going out tomorrow in the mail.

have we stumbled across a new business idea? styrofoam inserts for growler shipping…

granted they come in different shapes and sizes, but i’m shocked there isn’t a product out here for something like this.