Chicago Cocktail Recs

I will be visiting my wife’s family in Chicago (well, North Shore) over the holidays, and I was hoping to get some recommendations for nice cocktail bars. I’ll be downtown one night, and want to get a nice cocktail before our dinner plans. So far I’ve been very tempted by what I’ve heard about Aviary, since I haven’t had many chances to try super modernist cocktail places. Any opinions on it? Also, can you just stop by for a drink there, or do you need to participate in the ticketed 3-course cocktail thing?

Or, are there other places I should try? I’ve also heard good things about the Violet Hour. I went to Sable last time we were in Chicago, which I thought was very good, but would like to try something new this time.

We’re thinking about eating at Tavernita (N. LaSalle and W. Erie), so it would be great if recommendations were in the general vicinity. Thanks in advance!

Aviary is great, particularly if you don’t mind dropping some coin - get a resos if prime hours Violet hour is great also. I also enjoyed Three Dots and a Dash - full Tiki

aviary is wonderful. i’ve stopped by for drinks before, but making reservations can’t hurt.

The Aviary is a fun experience - I think that’s the way to go. If for some reason that didn’t work out, I also like The Drawing Room. Violet Hour is great, but not in Tavernita’s general vicinity and it can be hard to snag a seat on weekends.

I’m a big fan of Bernard’s Bar in the Waldorf-Astoria. It’s small, intimate, cozy and refined. Nice cocktails too. Not the place to go if you’re looking for a fun “scene”.

Untitled has a great bourbon selection and often has live jazz music.

Other places to consider, although not near Tavernita are:

Heard good things about

The Berkshire Room
in the Acme Hotel
15 E Ohio St
Chicago, IL 60611
(312) 894-0800

Mel,

I’ve been there on a couple of occasions. Great glassware, good cocktails, ambience is a bit off for me. A friend works in the area, so I’ll probably be back, but I wouldn’t make a point of it.

As always, YMMV.

Not exactly my mileage… Just passing on a good review

Haven’t been to the Berkshire Room, but a Bourbon/tobacco/Coffee concentrate cocktail at their sister restaurant (Homestead on the Roof) was one of my favorites this year. I understand that the Berhire has it as well.

Just to reiterate, Aviary is unlike any cocktail place I’ve ever been to and worth the effort to get there. Very imaginative and great execution (get whatever they have in the Porthole as a starter).

Also, for a beautiful setting in good weather (spring thru fall), the bar at the 16th Floor terrace of the Trump Hotel is very nice

Wow, thanks a bunch everyone. Sounds like I have the next dozen trips to the in-laws already planned, to get through these great recommendations!

The bourbon/coffee/tobacco concentrate sounds right down my alley, so I’ll have to see if I can fit that in too. However, based on the encouragement here, I went ahead and made a reservation at the Aviary. Very excited, I’m especially intrigued by whatever drink they do that comes frozen in the glass, and needs to be cracked open (with a slingshot?) to drink. Will try to report back with some pictures!

Glad you got the reservation. The preparation you are referring to is usually a Manhattan, where the drink itself is inside an iceball that you break open with the slingshot. But do have someone try the Porthole as well. Changes regularly but usually white goods (tequila, vodka, etc.), bitters and other flavoring agents in which herbs and fruits are steeping. 3-4 small glasses and it’s fund to see how the drink changes as the steepin time increases.

If you are really nice to the staff, try to talk your way into the Office (a very small, clubby lounge in the basement that only holds 15 or so). Very nice bourbon selection, including Pappy flights, although none of the Aviary “fancy” drinks down there. And be sure to grab a key if you leave for the bathroom - the door locks behind you.

Well, my foray to the Aviary ended in a bit of a tragedy… The in-laws decided that they wanted to join our date downtown, but they have a bit of a prejudice against molecular gastronomy in general and against Grant Achatz establishments in particular. So our reservation was quickly cancelled.

However, the day itself was by no means a loss. We spent the early afternoon at the new Eataly, which was all around a pleasant experience. The place was packed, and a bit overpriced, but had a pretty impressive array of Italian products to offer. We enjoyed a nice meat and cheese plate for lunch, along with some very tasty gelato. I quite enjoyed the glass of 2010 Villa Antinori Rosso Toscana that my wife selected with the meats… I absolutely loved the rustic leather flavors I got out of it. Between this outing and all the talk of Barolo on the wine page, I see myself getting more into Italy in the coming year. We also spent time in the beer tasting room, which had some pretty impressive offerings in my opinion.

From here we ran off to the Berkshire Room for some pre-dinner cocktails. Really quite enjoyed it. I started off with the Weston, the aforementioned mix of bourbon, coffee tincture, tobacco something-or-another, and Angostura and orange bitters. Reminded me a bit of an old fashioned in spirit, given the high bourbon content, but with fantastic flavor. I also had the Old Money, which was bourbon, aperol, walnut liqueur, and allspice aged in a barrel. Very nice, though not quite as good as the Weston. They did stock all versions of Pappy Van Winkle, but at $50 and up I chose to pass. Saving that money for when I come back and go to the Aviary…

From there it was off to the Frontera Grill, which was good as always. Then finished the night with a nightcap at Sable. I had the Yamazaki 18 year old, which I thought was really quite well done. So smooooooth!

Thanks again for all the suggestions! Hopefully I’ll be able to dig this thread up again this summer, as my wife as promised me that the next trip will absolutely involve a stop at Aviary.

Nice in-laws. “Can we join you??? but we don’t want to go where you are going so you better change it”

:slight_smile:

George

Haha, yeah. Let’s just say that I wasn’t thrilled leading up to that evening.

But, to be fair, they did spring for dinner, and everyone ended up having a great time!

Plus, having them throw some sort of fit while at the Aviary probably would have made even more news than the whole Alinea/baby thing [smileyvault-ban.gif]

If you get to the Aviary, really really try to get to “The Office” bar downstairs. It is very small, cozy, and the bar tender just makes up drinks for you if you want. Oh yeah, it is also a lot harder to get into than the Aviary even though it is part of the same place, but well worth it if you can finagle an invite. It is rather exclusive, but it doesn’t hurt to try. Just treat your server VERY well and hang around a while, something may come open.

k.

Edit: Ooops, just saw that David K. also recommended The Office up thread. +1 to his rec.

no shocker that you mentioned the places I would’ve mentioned. I’d also throw out:

Longman&Eagle
Bar DeVille (classic cocktails, $$$ only, and know what you want as there’s no list)
Analogue

I like Maude’s but it’s really a bar area tucked into the corner of a restaurant. Difficult to sit when it gets a bit busy and uninspiring wine selection. However, you’re also in an area where there are loads of restaurant choices, including Maude’s itself. I think of it more as a place to grab a drink than as a place to have drinks.

I live in Chicago and need to hit some of these places

You can also get some pretty good food down in the office - took some clients there for drinks and food a year or so ago. Worth going to Aviary / Office - as an evening, I like it better than Next actually, though a night at both could cost you close to what Next costs… [wow.gif]