Distillery tour recommendation?

Hey all,
My folks will be driving near Lexington, KY and my dad wants to do a distillery tour. They’ll be on their way back from vacation, and will probably only have time for one stop. Dad likes bourbon, but isn’t very particular/choosy. He can usually identify the good stuff but wouldn’t necessarily seek out special bottles. Mom doesn’t drink much but is happy to tag along. I’ve never been down that way, so I’m hoping someone can recommend a good distillery tour where they’ll get to learn a little bit about the process and have a good time. For them, having a good/fun experience is more important than getting to try anything rare.

Chuck,

I recently visited a friend that lives in Lexington and we did the tour at the Buffalo Trace Distillery as well as the one at Woodford Reserve. I enjoyed both.

The Buffalo Trace distillery makes a lot of the currently fashionable super premium bourbons on the market (Van Winkle, George T. Stagg, Blanton’s, etc.). The Woodford Reserve distillery only makes Woodford Reserve.

In terms of which was more enjoyable, it was a toss up for me. I enjoyed the Buffalo Trace distillery a lot both from the standpoint of learning about how they make the bourbon as well as from the standpoint of learning some more about the various brands they make (which I like quite a bit when I can find them). However, you didn’t get as much access to the process of distilling at Buffalo Trace and the grounds were not as picturesque as the Woodford Reserve facilties.

The principal thing I liked about the Woodford Reserve tour was a that you got to be more “up close and personal” with the actual process of making bourbon. T\he tour included walking through the areas of the distillery where they fermented the “beer” that is then distilled, as well as through the area in which the pot stills were located (and operating), as well as the barrel house and the bottling line. As an additional aside, the Woodford Reserve grounds are pretty and you can buy a box lunch to eat while hanging out on the grounds.

Thanks Greg, that’s exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping to get. I passed the info along, sounds like either would be a good choice.

I’ve only done the Woodford Reserve tour, and Greg is spot on in regards to their tour. It was enjoyable, but at the end, you only get a thimble full of a taste.

I recently went to buffalo trace, woodford reserve and four roses and if I had to pick one it would be woodford reserfve, even though the tasting at four roses was the best.

Bob

After more than 30 years of bourbon drinking, finally made a trip to bourbon country. We visited eight distilleries and took tours at five. Overall, really glad we made the trip and wish I would have done it years ago.

While there is quite a bit of content overlap, if you are into bourbon, it still worth taking multiple tours. Walking around and smelling the old rick houses was very cool. Amazing to think the old wooden rick houses, with dirt floors and see thru exterior walls, could support the incredible weight of many thousands of barrels.

A bit disappointing that you can’t get any hard to get bottles at the distilleries. The only bottles available are the readily available products that you can find at any good liquor store. And as with wineries, the distillers do not want to get into pricing wars with their retail customers, so the pricing is full retail. This means you can usually get a better price at a retail store.

First tour was at Maker’s Mark. I drank a lot of Maker’s in the 80’s and 90’s, but now only when there isn’t much selection at a bar or restaurant. I would be a buyer of their cask strength, if it wasn’t priced at such a premium to get the extra proof.

This may have been my favorite tour. Very picturesque and a smaller operation than all of the other distilleries we visited, except Willet. While Maker’s is not really a small operation, it seems like a mom and pop business compared to most other KY distilleries. I only wish they would have some reasonably priced higher proof bourbon and would like to try some with additional age.

Willet Distillery or Kentucky Bourbon Distillers is also on a pretty piece of land. I really like what they are doing and hope the results pay off in a few years with the whiskeys that they distilled themselves. Tried their two year old rye, which is the first rye they distilled themselves, but felt it was too young. I love Noah’s Mill, one of their non-Willet brands.

I am a fan of Elijah Craig 12 year (and the 12 year cask strength which I was able to drink at a couple Louisville bars), so we stopped Heaven Hill’s Bourbon Heritage Center. Not much to see, but we didn’t have to go out of our way to get there.

We were advised by a few locals to pass on my plan to stop at Old Talbott Tavern for lunch and Mammy’s Kitchen was recommended. It gave us an opportunity to try Hot Browns for the first time. Mammy’s was good, but would try another place if in Bardstown again.

I’ve been drinking Knob Creek since I was introduced to it in the early to mid 90’s, so I had to visit Jim Beam Distillery. The tour was a bit commercial, but we did enjoy the touristy touch of bottling our own bottle of 120 proof single barrel Knob Creek. Even though they are made at a large operation, I love Knob, the single barrel Knob, and Booker’s and the fact that they are reasonably priced and available. In the current climate where it is impossible to find many of your favorite bourbons, I have to praise Beam for the availability of these great bourbons and their refusal to compromise on the age and proof.

Did a tour at Four Roses. Kind of in between the big industrial operations and a smaller producer. Since I enjoy their bourbon, we really had to include it. The Spanish architecture was unique for a KY distillery. Not that it matters, but it was the least expensive tour, most generous pours, and you get to keep the glass. Plus, everyone was very friendly and genuinely nice. If you weren’t a fan prior to the visit, my guess is most people would have a soft spot after the warm visit here.

Stopped at Wild Turkey and I recognized Jimmy Russell sitting in the tasting room, chatting with a couple of visitors. No signs or announcements, just Jimmy being available to meet loyal customers who recognized him. Didn’t take a tour here, but it wasn’t far from Four Roses.

Another quick stop at Woodford Reserve. Their bourbon isn’t something that I buy or drink very often, but heard that it was in a beautiful location. The grounds and surrounding area are maybe the most picturesque of all of the distilleries and I am glad we stopped. The tasting room just seemed too polished and corporate, decorated like a model home.

Lunch at Wallace Station was a good choice. I really enjoyed the Cubano and my wife like her burger. Washed them down with a Kentucky Kolsch and a Kentucky IPA. While the location seemed like it was in the middle of farms, it was jammed.

Last tour was the hard hat tour at Buffalo Trace in Frankfort. I enjoy and drink many of the various brands distilled here, but didn’t expect the industrial, old factory operation. I was prepared for Beam, but not here. Didn’t realize they made Fireball along side Pappy… As someone who appreciates smaller, artisanal products seeing the operation that makes some of my favorite bourbons left me a bit sad. Walking up to the factory complex, you could envision soap or baby food or anything being made here.

I concur about Four Roses- its the one I’ve been to most recently. They are very nice and generous.

I’ve done almost all of them in the last 6 months. The best 3 were Woodford Reserve, Maker’s Mark, and Four Roses. Buffalo Trace is huge and they make a variety of stuff, but it’s a big industrial place, felt almost like walking through an oil refinery. Woodford and Makers are really scenic. Makers is quite a long way from Lexington and Lousiville, just so you know.

I didn’t do Willet, but have heard it is a good tour. Heaven Hill didn’t do so much for me. Wild Turkey wasn’t bad, and they have several types of whiskies to try.

But, based on your dad’s criteria, I’d choose Woodford. Plus, they can get lunch there.