TN: 1992 Bruichladdich

TN: 1992 Bruichladdich

I purchased this Cadenheads bottling on release. Distilled in 1992 and bottled in July 2015 at 22 years old. Only 222 bottles of this single cask whisky were made. Matured in a bourbon hogshead, bottled at cask strength of 53.3%. I do love a good, peaty Islay single malt. Deep yellow, the powerful nose confidently shows off a core of coastal air with a streak of peat. With a few drops of water, the peat becomes more prominent. The mouthfeel is a creamy punchiness, bright ripe citrus mid palate and a swirl of coastal salinity. Bold and authentic, this is a success. I like it.

Nice dram!

Some pics of the pour instead of just the bottle would go a lot further for me. There is much to be gleaned from a pour. Little from a label. Just my $.02

Nicos can’t win here - he posts pictures of everything from the capsule to the cork to the pour on his wine notes and gets told he should have posted a picture of the fish he cooked with the wine. And now he should have posted a picture of the pour.

Damned if you do and damned if you don’t, my friend!

(Note, this is much less a dig at you, Mr. Moleberg, than at the individual who told Nicos to post his fish.)

Sorry, didn’t mean disrespect. Was actually really interested in this bottling. I have run the gamut with Laddie. Some have been the most incredible experiences, others have been pure drudgery. And while I usually enjoy a darker dram, with bruichladdich, I have much preferred their lighter pours. Cheers

You weren’t being disrespectful. Nicos and I are close friends and often joke about how several “personalities” on this board do nothing but complain. Your note was an excuse to tease with my friend, nothing personal.

I am a particular fan of Islay malt in sherry cask (producing a darker dram, as you say), but have enjoyed many lighter as well. Never noted that specifically in reference to Bruichladdich, but I will keep it in mind now going forward. Thanks!

Nice. Thanks for the note. Sounds wonderful.

And hah, the other banter on this thread was fun to read. Now I need to find that fish thread. [wow.gif]

Cheers,

Jason

Jason - that was on the Wine Talk thread. Nicos posted one of his wonderful, detailed notes with pictures of the bottle, capsule, cork, foil, and pour in the glass. He happened to mention he was serving it with a poached fish of some sort (I believe), and a certain person fussed that a picture of the fish would be more interesting than the cork/foil/capsule. Such curmudgeons.

Thank you Sarah! Highly accurate and most eloquent, as usual.

James, given your ‘request’ and your genuine interest in this specific bottling, I have taken the trouble on your behalf and on this occasion to take a photo of said bottling in a whisky glass. I trust that this will be of some benefit to you.

Sincerely,
Nicos

Many thanks- looks like right up my alley. Thank you! Cheers

I have not tasted this particular expression of Bruichladdich, but am intrigued by it. With the exception of the 1970 32 years old, the 1983 and 1984 in crock, and some personal Valinch bottlings from early '00’s Feis Ile festivals, I have been unimpressed for the most part by the official bottlings of Bruichladdich and by none of those distilled by the Murray McDavid guys during their ownership. Independent bottlers have done better, to my taste, because their casks and bottled expressions have been diverse from the official distillery profile. For example, the 1967 and 1968 single fresh sherry cask Millennium releases bottled by Signatory in 2000 are great and worth seeking out.

Fish??? I’m curious about fish with Islay malt. Don’t need a picture just the species and preparation. All that I can think of that would work might be kippers. Less peaty whiskies can be good with prawns perhaps in a cream sauce, but I wouldn’t use any Islay malts.

Careful reading clears up much confusion. I wrote: “Jason - that was on the Wine Talk thread.” Also reference to capsule, cork, foil.

It was a note on a wine, not whisky.

Hi Sarah. I believe that you would have enjoyed a dram from this bottle.