Liquor Storage

Well…in general wine storage can be be agreed upon (cold cellar, wine on side/cork wet, etc…) but with liquor is there any “requirements” for storage? If there is a cork in the bottle will the higher % of alcohol deteriorate that cork quicker? (upright better?)

I’m just in the middle of a cellar reorganization and trying to figure out what to do and where to store some liquor(s).

Yes indeed

never lay on the side bottle like scotch with a cork, they will get destroyed in a quick manner.

The cellar conditions are a good thing as liquor ( I am mainly speaking for scotch as this is my main expertise and other than wine stock I have in qty in the cellar) Do no like light or will evaporate less quickly in a sealed bottle ( yes even scotch can have a low fill after year waiting to be opened).

Hope this helps!

You do not need temperature control for your liquor (scotch is my main focus as well), though extremes aren’t good. Upright and away from light, as Louis says, as well as relatively dry are the important things. We are coming to the end of building a new house, which we designed ourselves. Having the option of doing pretty much anything we wanted, we opted for scotch storage in the basement, just outside the wine cellar, in specially built glass-fronted shelving. Artificial light only, and cool from being underground. Some of the greatest collections of whisky in the world, including what is reputed to be the very biggest/best, are in similar storage.

Sarah, can you elaborate on “relatively dry” ? I bunker my bourbons in the wine room, which is pretty humid all year-round. I assumed this was fine for the whiskey, but could it be too humid ?

I agree with the previous statements, 100%. :slight_smile:

It’s fine unless you’re talking really damp. The same issues that apply to corks and labels for wine apply for whisky - too damp and you start to get issues with mold and rot. Same is true at the other extreme: if it’s too dry, you’ll have issues as well. Which extreme is more of a problem for you would depend on whether you’re talking about really old bottles, in which case you probably want it a little more humid (Scottish corks are notorious for drying out).

Hmmmm
I’ve never really owned a bottle of liqueur long enough to worry about storage…

I would disagree re “relatively dry” I would far prefer a moldy label vs a dried out cork and the alcohol evaporating.