Help me pick a whiskey (or three) from this list

I usually drink Scotch. I don’t drink a lot of Bourbon, but I enjoy it when I do. I’m going to a bar in Houston that has quite the Bourbon list. Let me know if there’s anything particularly interesting/rare/well-priced that’s worth prioritizing: http://www.julephouston.com/media/menus/Julep_SpiritsList.pdf

The Yamazaki Sherry Cask also may be worth a taste for the tariff.

I know you asked for whiskey but if it wa up to me here’s what I would choose:
Navazos sherry Oloroso cask rum- Stellar

Bordelet Calvados 18 yr.- never had it but this is a rare bird to try

Willett 8yr rye- touch of water and the aromatics explode

For me, that’s what I would do, fun list

To me Yamazaki isn’t worth the teriff, if you can find Ohishi, give it a try for 1/4 of the price (I sell this but get almost nothing for an allocation)

Oy Veh, those prices! Nothing in the bourbon list is worth that crazy tariff.

3/4oz pour of yamazaki sherry cask for $45 is actually pretty decent. If we go by a dollar/oz ratio it’s certainly much better value than any of the bourbons.

Based on secondary value of $1600, the Sherry cask should cost $67/oz. So both the 1.5oz and .75oz pricing is pretty good. I don’t know if I need 1.5oz of the sherry cask tho, that’s a big monster whiskey.

Yea the math works, but is it worth it?

I’ve had it, it’s good but doesn’t stand out from the rest (for the price) Yes most of these are priced on the upper end of what brown should go for, so I’d go in a different direction.
The Willett, while not a great value is good if you get the shorter pour, but the Navazos is absolutely spectacular, both rum and whisky, truly unique and rare spirits that are with the coin.

I’d throw any of the E.H. Taylors into the mix.

Second on the Willett Rye.

Jason

Obviously a bunch of those are priced so that they stay on the list for a while, but looking beyond the most sought after stuff, I see some things I’d be happy to order.

Whistle Pig Boss Hog is truly fantastic (especially the second release; not sure which this is).

E.H. Taylor Rye is very complex, but you have to like something with some heat on it.

Elijah Craig 18 isn’t easy to find these days (at least in my area), and for good reason. (Don’t bother with the 23; I tasted them side by side recently and preferred the 18.)

I think the Elijah 18 is too old and woody–the 12 is my house bourbon. I’ve had that Hirsch, didn’t think that much of it. My own picks are the Old Forester 1870 and the Birthday. I’ve had both and they were excellent–and the 1870 is actually affordable. I just started drinking the McKenna at home and that’s a good libation. Problem with that list is that the upper end stuff, that you might not want to commit to a full bottle of at the prices, are overpriced, and the stuff you could drink at home is reasonable. Just FYI, If you want a great Bourbon list, go to Local Three in Atlanta–great selection, well priced. Chris Hall, one of the partners, Clay Mauritson and I finished off a Weller Centennial (Louisville–Stitzel Weller juice) this summer up in the Rockpile vineyards… Wonder what Julep could charge for that?

i’d rather drink the sherry cask than anything else on the list.

That’s how I would describe the 23, but the 18 is perfect for me.