North East style IPA - who else is doing it

It took quite awhile before the country could produce West Coast IPA and then even more time for balanced ones to arrive.

So…who is trying and coming close to producing the new hazy/juicy east coast IPA. I’ve had a few that I’ve thought might be clones (born yesterday unfiltered from lagunitas recently). I gave up chasing and paying $20 a beer awhile ago, but would still like to get an idea of what these guys are doing.

Our guys here in Ohio can make a really solid straight ahead west coast IPA (fatheads/white rajah ect) but innovation is just not in the cards around here. Is anyone else producing similar styled juice that can be found without chasing the delivery truck?

Hoof Hearted in Marengo to the south of you, and not too far from where I went to college.

I’m not an IPA guy, so someone please correct me if needed, but it seems to me that Singlecut brews some that fit the bill. I have no idea how wide distribution is, but they’re easy enough to buy off a store shelf in areas where they’re available.

I think its pretty difficult to find a widely distributed NE style IPA - at least at this point, its still a very regional / localized thing (though obviously catching a big wave of popularity), but in addition - I think the style really requires it to be super fresh - both for the hop character but as well as to retain the turbidity that is the hallmark of the style… like Doug, I’m no expert - but am curious to hear what others think and always willing to find new options that I may not be aware of…

in terms of producers local to me in NJ making the style:
Magnify - Maine Event, even their Low Visibility can probably be considered to be in the style
Conclave Brewing - Gravitational Waves
Brotherton IPA
Twin Elephant - Trop Hop
Jersey Girl - Rake Breaker IPA

I agree with Kevin’s take. I think it will be quite awhile before you see a widely available version.

Until very recently, it was hard to find good local examples in the NW. Still not terribly common, but beginning to see more and more.

Holy Mountain does EXCELLENT NE style pale ale/ipas

Wholeheartedly agree, but draft only and doubt you’ll find it outside of Seattle. Same for Great Notion in Portland.

Great Notion does crowlers, so they get a lot of people sending it all over the country.

Charlie - i knew GN had crawlers so not surprised folks outside of PDX have obtained. My prior comment was that GN is one of the few NW breweries doing the NE style.

So what do you think of GN?

I’m so so on it. I’ve had juice box and juice jr very recently, I wish they had more depth to them.

This is definitely true. I work near one of the big names, and from time to time pick up some cans, often a day or two after the canning date. They’re great fresh and keep for a couple of weeks, but at around the four week mark, really start to nosedive. At around five or six weeks from canning, they’re almost undrinkable.

I think each brewery is different. I think monkish really grows around 2-3 weeks. Trillium takes a nose dive in that span. Shrug.