Heater Allen -- These guys are good

Through the generosity of a unnamed board member with access to the Heater Allen lineup, I was able to sample some of these beers. I know they are known for their Pils, but they have a few others in the lineup. Here is the one I popped tonight.

The Eichenbock. Doppelbock made in collaboration with de garde.
Wow, you pop the cap and the room fills with malty, roasty aromas. The dark head rises up at first but the beer is fairly “still”. The flavors are huge…sweet malt, bread, figs(!), roasted barley. It’s not syrupy, but the flavors are so big, it could almost substitute for a port, especially on a cold night like tonight. The hops on the finish refresh the palate, but this is a sipping beer…a beer to share with friends on a cold night. Grab some cheese after the meal and sit down by a fire.

I wish my beergeek friends were here to share, but I’ll just have to soldier on without them.

Yes, the Eichenbock is great. So is the Pils, Das Bier, Schwarz, Sticke, Sandy Paws… cool that you were able to obtain some of Rick’s beers!

That’s a fine sounding note Chris. If you ever make it back to Chicago, we might have to consider doing a beer night.

Good stuff, had a case of their 12 oz Pils in the fridge at the beginning of harvest. They didn’t last too long.

I know, the Pils is the real deal, but these other beers are pretty awesome, too.

I am attempting to make ricks Pils at home right now. I have ten gallons in the fermenter. I need a few months to know, but I am tasting it each week and am happy so far.

First lager I have ever done. I can tell you his grain bill is silly expensive on a home brew scale, so he makes a very high quality beer,

Still not in Curry Co. Had dinner with reps from Bard/Davol last night and we were talking lagers. We got to best in the state and both of us said H-A about the same time.

Drinking Heater Allen Pils at Henry’s. The only sports bar open today in Portland. Cheers, Rick!

I had the Altbier on draught in Eugene and loved it.

Thanks everyone! Keep drinking, we’ll make more.

We had a bit of a crisis at the Brewery this week. Our glycol chiller died shortly after we started brewing a doppelbock. With no cooling, the doppelbock’s temperature ended up getting as high as 82 degrees (at least that’s the highest I saw). Hardly a doppelbock! We also lost a batch of Pils. The Pils will likely go to a distiller, and the doppelbock may as well, although we may take the suggestion of several farmhouse brewer friends and put it in barrels and see what happens. Hopefully we get the chiller back up and running today.

Bummer about the glycol chiller, but I like the barrel-aged idea.

Drank my first 12 oz Pils this week. I get why some may prefer that size, but I finished it thinking I wanted more. Bombers only for me going forward, although Sheela really enjoys the smaller size.

Check out they head retention…in a pils!

The only other place I’ve tasted a beer like this was Prague. Wonderful nose of mead and malt. Round but nice slightly bitter finish.

I can’t tell you how impressed I am with this beer.
IMG_7261.JPG