Revolution recalls 10,000+ barrels due to wild yeast strain invasion

Revolution Brewing, one of Chicago’s most popular and fastest-growing craft breweries, suffered a setback this week in announcing the recall of an estimated 10,000-plus barrels of beer for quality issues.

Revolution issued the recall Monday for specific batches of Anti Hero IPA, Fist City Pale Ale, Cross of Gold Ale, Mosaic Hero IPA, Eugene Porter and Unsessionable Imperial IPA. The affected beer is safe to drink but doesn’t meet the brewery’s standards for taste and flavor. Revolution founder Josh Deth said this was an unfortunate first for his company, a financial loss and a blow to the brewery’s reputation.

“It’s like a death in the family. No one likes to deal with it, but you deal with it the best you can. And it brings people together and refocuses you on what really matters, which for us is the quality of our beer,” Deth said Tuesday.

The beers affected by the recall “exhibit ester or phenolic flavors, which are more characteristic of Belgian-style ales, and which should not be present in our standard American ales,” according to the recall notice posted Monday on the Revolution website.

Deth said the aberration in flavors was produced by a wild yeast that had gone unidentified. The brewery is still trying to determine exactly how that happened, he said.

I would gladly buy mixed packs (3 varieties, one infected, one clean of each variety) as an educational experience.

Brett ipas are kinda tasty

Brett appears to like Chicago. Goose Island has had this happen several times and now Revolution.

Landing in Chicago now and thinking about a breakfast Anti-Hero!

image.jpeg

The one on the right! Go for the one on the right!!

I chose wisely. This airport bar also has Anti-Hero in cans.

Man am I glad I had a pop. This flight to PDX is oversold and overweight. They have offered the moon, sun & stars to get folks off and now they are removing people by name.

This is inches from John Locke’s State of Nature. Cannibalism may ensue.

I don’t think revolution produces any sour beer, that’s weird they had this contamination issue. GI produces sour beer so sometimes it might be unavoidable. GI even goes to great lengths to separate the items used for their stouts from everything else, basically have 2 of everything.

Theoretically, could someone (a competitor, perhaps) unleash a few tablespoons of unwanted yeast in the air while on a plant tour?