Single Malt Scotch Convert

Recent trip to the Scottish Highlands and visited several small distilleries. I never drink scotch or really any hard liquor but these single malts are amazing. A revelation to me. So many different aromas and tastes and ways to age. Favorite visits and tastes were at Oban, Edraudor, and Blair Atholl. Ended up bringing back three bottles in my wine box. I can only imagine sitting around a roaring fire this winter and sampling these. Another reason for my liver to hate me.

Yes, looked like a great trip!! I am a recent Scotch convert as well. I am a fan of Oban, also The Balvenie. Highlands Scotch tends to be my favorite as some other areas can have too much peat. One exception is Lagavulin 16…peaty goodness.

3 of my faves…
IMG_0024.JPG

Welcome to a very slippery slope.

OK Scott. Tasting challenge has been issued.

This is a personal preference, but I would strongly suggest tasting through good neutral barrel bottles from good producers from Highlands, Speyside, Islay, Islands, and that place Springbank is from that I can hardly ever remember on the fly…so Springbank. I think it’s the best way to dive into scotch. All of the sherry, sauternes, rum, etc. casks skew the scotch pretty hard. Some of Glenmorangie’s sweet barrel bottlings are just not far off from bourbon flavors, and that’s not why I drink scotch (I don’t like bourbon).

Taste a lot, have fun. It’s like wine. Region plays a huge factor in profile. Lagavulin (Islay) and Glenlivet (Speyside) are worlds apart. And that’s the fun of it!

Oh man, this could get ugly! :wink:

I rarely order whiskey when out, but Sunday, I grabbed a dram of Highland Park 18, and was floored by its aroma and smoothness— and that was even before I added a small cube, then whoosh…

My wife, who doesn’t drink, and due to past history (blehhh) will not even taste refined spirits, loved the bouquet— and we were outdoors, and her snout was 30" from the glass.