Whisky Shop in Tokyo?

Any recommendations to pick up some japanese whiskey in Tokyo?

nothing outrageous… just the hibiki 17, yamazaki 18 type stuff…

Good prices/good selection, and easy to get to is a plus :slight_smile:

Thank u!

You can actually find a very good selection at the wine and liquor section of one of the major department store food halls. Prices are competitive and you should be visiting those anyway. Easy to get to and easy to navigate. We pick up some rare sake at Takashimaya regularly.

Department stores, the better ones like Takashimaya mentioned above, are a great source.

Other than that most areas of the city that have traditional arcades of shops (Azabu-juban springs to mind for example) will have mom and pop shops offering fun stuff too.

While here though do try and make time for a few glasses at Elevage (located in Nishi-azabu), hands down one of the best whisky selections in the city. and the wine, well hard to find a better selection.

I have found Japanese whisky to be cheaper at the Narita Duty Free than at some stores, but they don’t always have it. It hasn’t been there the last few times I have passed through, so maybe you shouldn’t expect it.But you might get lucky at a Duty Free at the airport. Scotch, conversely, is more expensive at Narita than at stores in Tokyo.
Bic Camera is worth perusing for whisky, so if you see one, you may want to drop in.

If you are in Akasaka, you may want to try Yomo. They have a pretty big selection of all sorts of whiskies. Bic Camera prices can be a bit better though. I may stop by tomorrow to see if they have what you are looking for.

I’m not sure about Tokyo, but I just left Fukuoka where I conducted a pretty exhaustive search and found basically nothing. In speaking to one off the clerks at one of the larger liquor stores in the city he advised that the Yamazaki 12 and 18 have become all but impossible to find. I do think I saw a Hibiki 17 but am not certain as I was not looking for it.

At the duty free in Fukuoka they did have the Yamazaki 18, but at 50,000 Yen ($500) that’s a non-starter for me. The 12 can be had in the States for $99 whenever you want it and the going rate on the 18 seems to be about $250 or so.

Good luck though, I hope you’re successful. I had them all this week and they are definitely outstanding whiskys. I’m not sure if I liked the Yamazaki or Hakushu 18 better but will seek them both out at home.

Regards,
Andy Kei!!or

Thank you!

Where.is Takashimaya? Is that a store name or a district. Or maybe a subway stop name?

It is one of the biggest department stores in Tokyo and it in Ginza. A Google search will provide you all the information you could possibly need.

Takashimaya is actually closer to Nihonbashi. If you take the Ginza line you get off at Nihonbashi station.

Thanks for the correction!

Perfect. Thank you everyone!

Narita worked for me to get Hibiki 17. Was also gifted a bottle procued there. Have seen that and high end wine at good prices (post initial Yen drop) at Nihonbashi. This was in 2013 FWIW.

F

Liquors Hasegawa has tons of whisky, but the popular ones - Hibiki 17-21,Yamasaki 18 have been sold out for quite awhile. They might have restock so it’s worth a visit, and I’m sure you will find some other great ones there.

They have two stores, one selling craft beers, the other whisky.

I went around to a few places in Akasaka. Here is a sampling. Lots of standard Japanese stuff.

Yomo had Hibiki 17 for Y14800 Yamazaki 12 for Y8380 and something called Kirin FujiSanroku 18 for Y24840.
Yamaya had Hakushu 18 for Y24800,Yamazaki 12 for Y8380. I think they had the Matsui Kurayoshi 18 for Y10,800. I saw the Kurayoshi at Bic Camera for Y12,000. A lot of these said "One per customer’
Bic Camera had 2014 Leflaive Batard Montrachet for Y55,000 or something like that. Some other Leflaives and DRC if you are interested in that stuff. 14 Dauvissat Forest for 5900.